My First Spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
I finally finished the spoon I started at the end of July on my Woodlore Fundamental Course.

It truly is a real sense of accomplishment and a labour of love!

I'll probably never carve another one but at least I know now that I can if I want to.

spoon1.jpg

I'll admit that when I first started on this project, I was truly unable to visualise the end product but the directions and encouragement by the Woodlore staff really helped me and I'm glad I stuck with it!

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Many thanks guys - I'm really chuffed with it and plan on taking it out with me on my next excursion!

Nightwalker - I don't have a ruler to hand but if I remember rightly it's about 18cm long

Cheers

Dr O

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Looks great I wish I had your patience

Ahhh, there's nowtmuch to bunging a depression in a bit of wood and carving a handle onto it, it's making the whole thing look nice and making the lines flow which is the difficult bit! It seems Doc Onion has done the job there.

Seriously, try it. get a bit of wood, it doesn't have to be anything special and try carving a spoon shape out of it. Don't worry about the bowl yet, just carve the shape and watch those fingers! It is a good thing to try as it gets you using varying cuts and varying parts of the blade to perform those cuts. Thinking ahead also comes into the equation as you need to do a bit of what the wood wantsor else you end up tearing the grain out. There are ways around it though.

Carving small implements like spoons, spatulas and knives for buttering bread or so that you can give it to a child to carry so they feel a bit more grown up, will increase your skill base and stop the dreaded skill fade. Safe knife work is a must, and the more you practise it, the more it will become second nature.

Have a first aid kit handy!;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE