My first spoon....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cloudnine

Sep 9, 2013
UK
Hi

I'm very new to spoon carving, started completely blind, with a huge chefs knife, a hammer and a Stanley knife....... Not very conventional I know, but I was in a rush to start. I started as a friend made a beautiful spoon for my mum's birthday and I knew I needed to do this.

So I have many questions and a heck of a lot to learn, which I would appreciate you all helping with

So, I have signed up here to get advice and am eager to carve spoons, bowls etc.

Can't wait to explore more.

So lets begin :)

I have a particular project in mind to complete for a very special friend, my first spoon is dedicated to them and I hope it will be used for years to come, only I made it from seasoned oak and now realise this was not a great idea but it was all I had laying around, so I'll boil it now.........

Looking forward to learning.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Hello & welcome Cloud.
Post a pic once your finished making said spoon. It's best to carve using fresh green wood instead of seasoned wood it is easier on the hands. A small example of woods that you could use for eating spoons are Birch, alder, apple & cherry (any of the fruits), hazel, willow, sycamore, there are many more but this should get you started.

Take your time and have a rest when your hands get tired.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE