my first spoon (well, sort of...)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I've become very lazy. With Robin being so efficient with the axe and so prolific I usually have a stack of spoons waiting to be finished and rarely find time to pick up an axe myself. However, having spent so much time teaching carving this year I decided it was time to start making spoons from scratch myself, so this Sunday when the weather was cr*p I did :D OK, they are only little caddy spoons, but they are all my own work for once ...
IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

Guess what everybody will be getting for Christmas this year :rolleyes:
Nicola

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
They are beautiful, what do you use to carve them? I love the knife marks on them, so neat, mine always look messy till sanded. Where do you run your courses?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
They are beautiful, what do you use to carve them? I love the knife marks on them, so neat, mine always look messy till sanded. Where do you run your courses?
I do all my finishing with a Del Stubbs small sloyd knife. It has a small, pointy blade which is highly polished and nicely rounded on the back so it slides around tight corners smoothly. You need to keep the blade quite flat to the wood. Start by sliding the bevel across the surface so it doesn't cut, then tip it up until it only just does. I always leave them to dry for a couple of days before doing the finishing cut. The wood hardens in this time and then takes a much better finish straight off the tool. There's a video of me demonstrating here. We teach from our home village of Edale in the Peak District.
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE