my first overnighter! and first knife breakage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Finally used my tarp and bivi set up this week and spent a night at Burrator reservoir.

But alas, turns out my phone battery doesn't like sub zero temperatures much and ran dry overnight, so no pictures to remember it by :( Will have to remember to keep it in my sleeping bag next time.

An absolutely brilliant night all the same, sausages taste so much better when you cook them over a fire!

What I did manage to do however was break my first knife.
7D1UAKsl.jpg

Happened batoning through a particularly big bit of firewood. I tried to twist it apart and it snapped! Gutted, as these knives are discontinued now I think, and I much preferred these to the Mora clipper (Which will most likely be replacing it anyway).

Still, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did: It was my first knife and I used it for nearly 3 years for just about everything as I didn't have an axe or saw for a lot of that time. it also had a bout of digging up roots which I can't imagine did it much good!

Ah well, all an excuse to buy new shiny things :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bummer about the knife.. (Can I say I'd prefer to use the knife to make a digging stick, sorry I hate seeing folk dig with a blade)

Sounds like you had fun though which is the object of life. :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Surprised it broke there but at least it was a cheap knife - you'd be more gutted having broken something expensive!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry about the knife; weird place for it to break though :dunno: that must have been a heck of a twist you had on it.

New shinies are always fun :)

cheers,
Toddy

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
it's a Ray Mears knife.......send it back and complain.

It's only a Mora with the Ray Mears logo from woodlore. One of the 2 for £20 ones available a while ago. If he's used it for 3 years, he's done well!

You could try a Hultafors knife, every bit as good as Mora, but half the price.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_17pqle5edc_b

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not so keen on the guard that the Hultafors have: it stops me choking right up as easily. That said, how similar are the heavy duty green ones to this one? That's the only one I have used.
Sorry about the knife; weird place for it to break though :dunno: that must have been a heck of a twist you had on it.

New shinies are always fun :)

cheers,
Toddy

It is an odd place for a break, but most of the rest of the knife was stuck in this log to it wasn't too surprising. I expected it to be a bit more dramatic to be honest, it just came away in my hands, no horrible breaking metal sound.

it's a Ray Mears knife.......send it back and complain.

I don't really like mooching off companies I like. If there was a problem with it, I wouldn't hesitate to send it back, but it's done well for 3 years and I have abused it something terrible over that time.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not so keen on the guard that the Hultafors have: it stops me choking right up as easily. That said, how similar are the heavy duty green ones to this one? That's the only one I have used.

It is an odd place for a break, but most of the rest of the knife was stuck in this log to it wasn't too surprising. I expected it to be a bit more dramatic to be honest, it just came away in my hands, no horrible breaking metal sound.

I don't really like mooching off companies I like. If there was a problem with it, I wouldn't hesitate to send it back, but it's done well for 3 years and I have abused it something terrible over that time.

Nice and honest! If you abuse a knife then it is cheating to return it when it fails!:)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya....well you live and learn....i once snapped a hefty felling axe handle doing the same....not good to twist. yup its one of the discontinued 510's. i think snozz is referring to the recently new robust which is proving pretty popular....i've had quite a few people asking me to make a sheath for it and will be doing a template soon. the robust also has a thicker blade so harder to snap!

glad you had fun though m8....and heres to many more overnighters! we've actually got sun here today in hampshire for the first time in what seems like 10 years lol!

regards

a

garyford

Dec 2, 2007
musselburgh
sounds like you had a good time.I think you should invest in a good Ben Orford Knife.To me it is worth ever penny,or should i say ever pound well spent. Best pice of kit you could get!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE