My first forged knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
A few weeks ago I took a magical mystery tour to meet with Dave Budd (www.davebuddknives.homestead.com) for a day of him teaching me to forge knives. Brave soul! I think he did a great job because I actually have something that looks like a knife - more of a testament to his teaching than to my skill. Well here it is - it is still not entirely finished but I couldn't wait to show it off.
forgedknife1.gif

I can't remember what type of steel I used but it did need a lot of hammering!
forgedknife4.gif

The scales are made out of oak and these still need some more sanding and then oiling.
forgedknife3.gif

It has a full tang that is tapered and lightened and I used brass pins. I decided to get a bit flash and do some file work on the spine as well.
forgedknife2.gif

It hasn't been sharpened yet and I'm going back to Dave soon to learn how to make a sheath for it.

I had a great day, I learnt loads and Dave was a great (and patient) teacher. He is a down to earth sort of guy and is very happy to impart as much knowledge as you can absorb. I will post pictures when it is finished in its entirety.

Thanks for looking

Joff

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Hey that's looking a lot better with the handle stuck on :) makes it look like a knife if you know what I mean ;) That piece of oak looks like it has some real potential in it too don't forget teh wetting-drying-sanding cycles ;)

folks, just wait til he has a sheath and a cutting edge on it too! The blade was forged from 1/2" round EN45 and edge quenched, tempered to 60RC. It's areally tough steel and good for learning on.

here is the knife that I'm making alongside (please excuse the rubbish photos, they were taken at night with bad flash)
jonathan1.jpg

jonathan2.jpg

good students learn well and make goodknives. This is a good knife :)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Great knife Joff !

I don't know why, but I seem to prefer rough finish like the 2 knives pictures in this post. Perhaps it's because I'm not affraid to "leave a mark" on it !

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Up until I made that knife I always liked the shiny blades and didn't really care for the rough and ready look. That's all changed now that I have made something with my own hands and I just love the look. It will be a real user :)

Jun 18, 2006
Exmoor
I really like the look of that! Very rustic. It must be a great feeling to make something like that yourself - very satisfying.

Be nice to see the finished article :)

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Thats a good looking knife Jon

I have a sneaky feeling Ross is about to become a forge widow.

Have you started making your forge yet;)

Nick

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
I'll have to pick your brains about the bits I'll need and the construction but I reckon I'll have one up and running soon. It's just too much fun not too!

I've still got to go back to Dave and learn the sheath making part but I'm looking forward to that and Ros is going to come along too as she wants to get into leatherwork (lucky me :D )

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Excellent work both of you.
I can feel the pull of hammering hot steel drawing me ever closer - perhaps its time I stoked the kitchen fire up a bit.....

Cheers for the encouragement.

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like the knife a lot. Dunno what it is that appeals to me about the more rough and rustic knives, but I just like them a lot. I may have to invest in one sometime, and given a chance even make my own! I aim to mak it to one of these hammerins one day soon, hopefully that will be my opportunity!

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
It's well worth it Spamel because it is just so satisfying creating something from a piece of metal rod (in this case) that is going to be used and useful. Once it's all finished then I might do a little review about how well it copes with 'normal' use!

Give it a go .... you know you want too!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I keep seeing pieces of unknown steel at the steel works I'm currently doing haulage at (temporarily, I might add!), and was wondering aboupicking a few bits up and maybe using them one day to have a play. I did some blacksmithing on my apprenticeship years ago and made a cold chisel and a centre punch. I would have preffered to be able to make a knife!

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Seriously, give it a go. Even if the metal is not suitable it would be a good pracice of the skills. If you enjoyed it then you can get some decent stuff in and do a proper job.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE