My first bushcraft knife. What should I look out for.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 24, 2016
Nottingham
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a reasonable all round knife but there are so many different types to choose from. Normally, I'd go with the phrase "you get what you pay for" but after a good mooch on the web that doesn't seem to be as clear cut as I thought.

I started looking at thesehttp://www.lmpenterprises.co.uk/rui-31909-energy-series-knife-1013-p.asp
They look ok, not too Rambo and a reasonable price.

Then I came across this site http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/tbs-boar-bushcraft-knife---dc4--firesteel-edition----turkish-walnut-15661-p.asp
The knife looks nicer as does the sheath, obviously comes with a fire stick and diamond card but, and it's a massive but, is it worth almost 3 times as much when buying your first bushcraft knife.

I hope you can offer some good advice.

Cheers,
Ben

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As you also want to demonstrate stuff to your Cubs I'd start off with suggesting a Mora*. They're already popular with lots of scout groups. And with good reason ~ they are financially viable if your group wants a number of them for camp craft tasks, have little to go wrong, are easy to sharpen, are available in carbon and stainless steel** ... and so on.

* Or type ~ Hultafors also have a good reputation.

** Both are good steels. Ferro rods are, in general, easier to strike/scrape with the spine of carbon knives. Stainless are more forgiving to moisture. As far as my own Mora's go I've found the stainless blade _slightly_ easier to sharpen (which was a surprise) and I reckon it's sharper than the carbon :yikes:

For sharpening look at the articles section of the forum ~ £5 sharpeing kit, I think it's called.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
There's a reason why lots of people say go for a Mora, it's because they just work. I'd buy a separate fire steel. Go for a Mora and then just decide if you need stainless or carbon I went for a clipper companion and am still using it, the bushcraft mora felt a bit pricey. It may not be the prettiest knife but it cuts stuff really well.
Rich

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Can only echo what's been said already, get a Mora and if you want to Spen a little bit more look at the Bushcraft black model.

Failing that the Condor range get good reviews.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Condor Bushlore & Dc4 to keep it honed.

Good all round, reasonably cheap knife. Ideally suited for tasks around camp :)

Forgot to mention the nice leather sheath's, Condors come with.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The orange handled Hultafors on heinnie for less than 4 quid is a very good place to start. I think I even prefer it to the Moras.
Once you've got some experience of using and maintaining it, consider something better/smarter or whatever.

Dave

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Another vote for the Hultafors. I got two, for kim and I to play at sharpening..... not needed at all. A very good workhorse at a great price. By all means move on after 3-6 months but you will KNOW what you are looking for in your next knife. Money well spent.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
bacho wreking knife, ugly as hell but indestructable and will outperform many expensive knives, costs £20
hqdefault.jpg

andy godfrey

Nov 19, 2015
Leicestershire
Another vote for Mora. I was sceptical at the price but they really are brilliant quality. You can afford to experiment with them too.
I wouldn't buy the DC4 - I don't rate them - and a firesteel and striker can be bought dead cheap separately

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can't go wrong with a Mora. I've been using one for a decade. I keep looking at shinier more expensive knives, but just can't seem to justify the cost when a mora Just Works™

J

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Stainless steel Mora... its cheap, you're not going to worry too much about how you care for it and you get used to using a knife out and about without worrying that you're destroying something that'll cost a pretty penny to replace.

Other bonus of the cheap Moras is the colours... you can get a nice bright colour that is easy to find... but also you don't look like a Rambo-wannabee... if you get stopped by the police with it in the bottom of your bag, its unlikely they'll think you're part of a gang with a bright blue or pink knife! :D Serious point and well worth considering... the police are not happy bunnies about people carrying knives for whatever purpose at the moment, for obvious reasons.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Stainless steel Mora... its cheap, you're not going to worry too much about how you care for it and you get used to using a knife out and about without worrying that you're destroying something that'll cost a pretty penny to replace.

You see I take the opposite view, and when I've been asked on stainless mora vs carbon, unless you're going to be spending all your time in the water, I always say the carbon.

Why?

Well it teaches you to look after the blade, oil it when you are done, keeping it sharp, stopping the rust from happening, all on a blade where if you screw up, it's only cost you a tenner. It teaches you the good habits.

J

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
You see I take the opposite view, and when I've been asked on stainless mora vs carbon, unless you're going to be spending all your time in the water, I always say the carbon.

Why?

Well it teaches you to look after the blade, oil it when you are done, keeping it sharp, stopping the rust from happening, all on a blade where if you screw up, it's only cost you a tenner. It teaches you the good habits.

J
That is a very good point.
Especially for a beginner.

It's also nice to learn the different methods of forcing a patina on the blade...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Why?

J

And I'd counter that with you have enough to learn with a blade out in the woods without worrying about looking after the blade itself.

Great, you learn how to look after a blade with a carbon, but you have time to learn that once you learn how to safely use a knife. As you say, its a tenner either way, so why not start with something that takes no care at all... then progress to blade maintenance with the next blade? Or more succinctly, learn to use the blade... it is more likely to hurt you if used incorrectly. Blade maintenance is a separate skill altogether. Not knocking the importance of blade maintenance, but it is an entirely different skill to using the blade.

Screw up with a blade, you lose a finger. Screw up with blade maintenance you lose a blade worth a tenner. How much is your finger worth?

As for spending all your time in water, we live in Britain. Its a mildly moist environment. When starting out, last thing you want to worry about is your blade rusting imho. A tool you can use and learn the basics is the main thing.

Patina on a blade means nothing... who gives a monkies about how a tool looks when you're starting out. I certainly couldn't give a monkies about what my knives look like... I want them to do the job and remain useable for as long as I need them. Worry about the looks and the durability of a blade when you know how to use it, how to not injure yourself with literally the sharpest tool in the box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE