Next knife - Recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
Hi All,

More advice on kit please?

I'm looking to buy my 'next' knife. I have the ubiquitous Clipper but would like to treat myself to something nicer. I'm after a general purpose knife that looks good (to me!). Here's the requirements:

Budget ~ £100 - £150
Spear Point preferred.
Stainless preferred.
Micarta (if it looks like wood!)
Length 11-12
Scandi Grind (because I know how to sharpen it).

Knives I'm considering:

TBS MK2 Boar with Turkish Walnut
Casstrom Lars Falt
Condor Bushlore (slightly too short blade, not stainless)

It will be used on canoe trips hence the micarta and stainless preference.

Any thoughts on those or knives I should consider? It seems like there are lots of knives once you get to £250 but not much around the £100 - £150 range.

Also, does anyone know of anywhere online you can buy used knives? eBay and Gumtree appear to ban them.

Any advice, as always, gratefully received.

Thanks.

Mike.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Others for consideration. Semi-stainless, not the grind, but good for general work, learn to convex and you will never look back ;)
There are micarta versions

Reactions: ANDYLASER

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I really like the look of Lars’ knife. And the price is really good too.

Casstrom seem to have ‘borrowed’ the BcUK logo though.

Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
Oh my god. How are you ever supposed to decide! :D

Think maybe I should look into convex sharpening - open up the possibilities even further! :banghead:

Don't suppose anyone has heard of WolfknivesbyTerry? There is a nice knife by him on Etsy:

I need to look into 01 Tool Steel......and convex sharpening.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I picked up one of this range the other day - SS , I was / am impressed , comes with a great sheath also.

Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
Do you really want stainless?

I would keep your eye on the member classifieds on here, there are some great knives that turn up :)

No, I'm not entirely sure about the stainless steel or the micarta (although I like the idea of that in the more natural finishes). I am set on a spear point, a natural looking handle, pref scandi (although I need to look into convex sharpening).

I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice. I know this is one of those 'no right answer' questions.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
O-1 will almost rust just from showing it the river. I am a great fan of stainless and some of the other alloy tool steels. 3V, and Sleipner have a fair bit of chrome...not as much as D2, so not quite "semi-stainless" but certainly stain less than O-1 or 1095.

I too liked the feel of the Druid that I handled last year.

Another places that sells knives is Edge Matters. A forum, and you have to pay membership to buy, which is not the case here. Here you just have to pay to sell.

How do we decided? You really are new to this! Most of us don't decide, we just keep looking as and when funds permit!

Jun 4, 2020
Suffolk. UK
Thanks! That's good to know about the 0-1 - that was nearly a big mistake. The bushcraft knife by Wolfknivesbyterry ticked all the boxes otherwise.

Thoughts on K720 High Carbon Steel vs N695 Stainless Steel?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I picked up one of this range the other day - SS , I was / am impressed , comes with a great sheath also.

I like the look of that.

Reactions: TeeDee

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
O-1 will almost rust just from showing it the river. I am a great fan of stainless and some of the other alloy tool steels. 3V, and Sleipner have a fair bit of chrome...not as much as D2, so not quite "semi-stainless" but certainly stain less than O-1 or 1095.

I too liked the feel of the Druid that I handled last year.

Another places that sells knives is Edge Matters. A forum, and you have to pay membership to buy, which is not the case here. Here you just have to pay to sell.

How do we decided? You really are new to this! Most of us don't decide, we just keep looking as and when funds permit!

We are both on opposite ends of the scale :D

My experience of stainless is that the edge is no where near as good as a carbon blade. I always clean and strop my blade and every now and then a bit of oil on it, they get a lovely patina on them. I feel that it is just basic blade care really, unless I'm cutting up bait for sea fishing, which I have a used and abused old mora for the job. Not the stainless one though haha.

Reactions: Jackroadkill

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
A bit more money, but I love my recently acquired F1 Pro. To be honest though there are tons out there. The TBS would do you fine.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So many to choose from, but the Enzo trapper 95, is a modern day classic, get it in elmax and it will never let you down.

Or get it as a blank and make your own handle

I was lucky to get the S30v version and very happy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE