My first Bread

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My latest go, was another Wrights offering; parmezan and sun dried tomato.
I had a bit much water in the mix, this time and I thought I'd fluffed it but a generous application of plain flour, to the sticky mess, soon brought it back under control.

Very nice and I remembered to use warmish water this time:D

I still have to try making bread just from the bits though:rolleyes:

cheers
Steve

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
I made bread recently, a link on lifehacker.com to an old NY times article on no knead bread, it really is as easy as it said it was and took next to no work and not much in the way of equipment or fancy ingredients, plain flour, salt and pinch of yeast and recommends dutch oven use, which a few of you will have im sure :D

linkage here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU
and: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1

my first ever attempt here :)

3250528001_91aaf946e2.jpg

was quite satisfying and ive done it a few times since, the first one was a bit floury, handy to know how to do given the snow someone else mentioned the bread shelves where empty at the supermarket.

stoo

I make (Irish) Soda bread more often than not with Rye flour lightened with wholemeal or plain. You don't need strong flour and you don't need to let is rise. Just make it and cook it.

You don't have to use butter milk either, I've made it with natural yoghurt or soured cream too.

Do put no less than the amount of salt in it says though.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I remember my first attempt, got in from pub and thought it would be a good thing to do..... the smoke alarm woke me to find the loaf had been baked, toasted and cremated in one beer fueled nap!
Have had some success since that day and find Wrights mixes really easy to use, though I tend to add a bit more parmesan and sundried tomatoes to their mix, sometimes add chopped black olives too just to make a more mediteraenean flavour. Nice post RB.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Homemade bread can't be beat Good stuff.

yes it can... iv had nothing but home made bread for probably 8 or 9 years now, we use a breadmaker but alot of the time we use it to make the dough then make roles in the oven.

the novalty has worn off many years ago and i love it when mum forgets a vital ingredient (like yeast lol) and we have to resort to shop brought bread!:D

pete

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Wow I didnt realise so many people made bread!!!! I am a closet breadmaker (it helps it to rise if i make it in there...lol)

I started making Bread last year to save money and now wont buy bread from the shops and my kids wont eat sliced bread anymore not sure I have done the right thing really!!!

My good lady and considerably better half loves my sun dried tomato and oregano loaf!!!

we are also lucky to have a working windmill nearby so I can buy sacks of fab wholemeal flour really cheap!!

Keep enjoying folks!!

Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a pictorial on home made naan bread for the curry heads out there if anyone fancies a crack at it?

Nice easy thing that doesn't need loaf tins, breadmakers etc. Only fancy ingredients are ghee (I have a tutorial for making that too :)) and yoghurt (BB makes ours - dead easy)

really easy to knock out a few tasty naan breads - and then get fancy with the garlic and so on

3279853908_bf9acd0739_o.jpg

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just wondering where all you other breadmakers get your flour from. I tend to use standard supermarket strong flour, which comes out at about 50p /kg, and have been looking for a bulk flour supplier. There are various online suppliers, but prices tend to be representative of the 'organic' food market, i.e. relatively expensive. The local Wessex mill charges about £1 per kg for large sacks, although there is a moral gain by using flour that is grown locally, but that's still a lot more than from the supermarket.

Any thoughts?

Geoff

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
We bought a bread maker from Lidl a few weeks ago and haven't bought a slice since...

The bread is delicious but as others have said, they go dry a bit too quickly.
Most of the bread we've made is from bread-mixes which we also get from Lidl, its pretty cheap but delicious.

I wonder what difference the dried/fresh yeast will make (re earlier post) I brew beer and the yeast is rehydrated before pitching it into the wort. I wonder if making up a 'fresh yeast' mix would help that much...

Jay

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I got rid of my oven when I switched to using canister gas instead of electricity - I didn't want to use "mains" gas because you have to pay "distribution charges" etc. - yes I am a bit off-grid.

So I make my bread in a stainless steel casserole on the hob. The only problem I have is moisture, but generally it works out ok. I always cook with the gas at its very lowest.

Michael

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE