My car survival kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Which does `not` fit in your pocket.....

CAR

tools
pen,
pencil
paper
multitool
wire saw
cloth gloves
duct tape
wire
compass
whistle
reflective sam brown or vest

fire and shelter
candle (tea light?)
matches
lighter
flint and steel
blanket
paracord
tarp
tent pegs
bin liner
space blanket??
elastic bands
plastic ties
torch

food
bottled water
water purifying tablets
foil
can opener
mess tin
hexi and burner
kendal mint cake
brew kit
noodles
chocolate
marzipan
dried fruit
dried meat

first aid
pain killers (100)
plasters (varitey)
rennies
condom (2)
needles and thread
saftey pins
wipes
tampax
tissues
soap
towel
cotton wool

The food (with the exception of the water) is in an old MRE box, the blanket and big stuff in a net bag and the tools and first aid in one of those nice orange first aid kit boxs which I found in a car in the local breakers. (always check the cars as they sometimes have interesting bits left in them...manuals, or tapes, for example.)

very little of this was bought especialy, I found it in my junk in the house (sad huh?)

anything you conside excess? or stuff I left out???

Ill take pics if you like

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a good list, d'you travel far? I presume there's also windscreen stuff and oil too.
The only things I add are a tube of Knorr cuppa soups (come in their own mugs) and one of Galaxy chocolate, rubbish bags, a roll of small sandwich bags for collecting stuff, disposable gloves and a couple of the click activated handwarmers.
I always fill a flask of hot water to take when I go out in the car any distance at all, it's amazing how often it's been useful..... 4 hours stuck in a traffic jam on the M8 for instance :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Nice to see someone well prepared.

I have a reasonable amount of gear in mine.

Jump leads tow rope tool kit powerful rechargable torch blanket large first aid kit foot pump pressure gauge warning triangle waterproofs hi-vis jacket warm jacket.

I do carry a few bushcrafty items such as a SAK and firesteel and the provision to make a drink etc. If i am going on a long journey i tend to throw in things like food, drink and a sleeping bag. If there is more than one car i have some 2-way radios for easy communication between vehicles.

I do get laughed at by some friends but on more than one occasion i hear the small voice:

"My battery's flat, can i have a jump?"
"Anyone got a pressure Gauge?"
"If only i had some tools...i could fix that"
"Nope it's dead, can i have a tow?"

I do try not to gloat really i do :rolleyes: but i'm afraid i fail on some occasions :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
i have that at work too. They laugh at my fishermans vest but they are first to ask if ive got stuff.

ill put some soups and drinking chocolate in, Toddy.

I also have in my car a car kettle, which realy boils water (albeit painfully slowly) instead of merely warming it as most car water heaters do

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I would add a pry/crow bar and a fire extingisher (poor spelling) plus some field dressings. I spend alot of time on the road as a rep and have been first to arrive at some major accidents and all have come in very handy!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I would add, a take down/collaspable saw, leather palmed work gloves, and a tru sleeping bag. I have just returned from a road trip in a white out storm that took us over 7 hours to finish (even though we are experienced in such things). Along the way we helped in an accident where a car with no kit of any kind or experience to use it drove off the highway and in a spray of snow and sleet, settling in a ditch. As our custom the first on seen cars stopped and over 50 (In a 2 hour period) other vehicles stopped afterward to offer assistance. No injury or vehicle damage was the result mostly thanks to the heavy blanket of snow, we evacuated the 3 female members (weather was freezing) to the their eventual destination by a passing van. We stayed with the male members(2) and sheltered them in our vehicle till a tow truck and police came on sight and they were pulled out of the ditch. All was well in the end, so you can see in carrying a kit and the knowledge of how to use it is an extreme asset. It can happens so fast be carefull but also be prepared. And do stop, we met some interesting peoples, they were from Africa, (imagine their rection to a Canadian storm) and maybe they will pass it on the next time someone is in trouble :D
CG

Reactions: British Red

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
I've got a fairly new car AA cover and two young kids so as a day to day get me through kit I carry in a small bag always packed at the rear of the boot!!

a four man bothy bag

a bottle of water

fruit drinks

chocolate bars and raisons

FAK

colouring book and crayons

It's not a full on kit but then all I want it to do is increase my families comfort on a rainly road/dual carriageway/motorway for a couple of hours till the cavalry arrive!

Mike

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
well while i don't think we may all need as much as Tengu to not be prepared for travel even in this country is shortsited especially in winter. Maybe you would like to ask the several hundred truck drivers who were stuck on the M something about ten years ago or perhaps the several hundred car drivers stuck on Bodmin moor last year. It can happen and the minimum can help.

The kit I carry is only enough to see me through a rainy time outside the car away from danger until help arrives. shelter some chocolate and something to do the day to day of family survival.

You've got to remember we don't all come at this from a hardcore perspective!

mikesknives

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
cornwall
and as for bug out bags I'm afraid oif I lived in a large urban area in this current political climate it's something I would definately consider.

Whilst the basic skill set may overlap there is definatley a different mind set between survivalists and bushcrafters.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I carry a first aid kit, foil blanket and 2 litres of water (Tesco's best value water), plus the ususal choc bars and tins of boiled sweets (2 for a pound :) ) If I were going over the Peninnes, was up in Scotland, maybe North Wales etc, in the winter months I might throw in a rat pack on the off chance of being stuck. I don't see the point in all the other gear to be frank.

Lets be honest, the odds of freezing to death on a UK road are astronomical, and the bug out kit does smell of survivalism to me, something I tend to steer clear of for the political side that often accompanies it, please, I mean no offence to anyone here when I say that

Reactions: big_swede
Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I think I saw this somwhere on BCUK. Whoever wrote it originally, :You_Rock_

You only need two items. Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't you use Duct tape. It if doesn't move and it should you use WD40.

Made me smile. :)

ledamni

Dec 5, 2006
UK
anything you conside excess? or stuff I left out???

You might also like a couple of flat packed foam mats; just get the normal ones and make them foldable, then you just strap then to the boot side of your back seats.

Sure beats having to sit on a lumpy wet pile of grass, and god forbid you get stuck in an overnighter there great unfloded in the back of a car with or on the dirt, beat's freezing your bum to death.

On the food frount, one of my old house mates used to eat the Unlce bens Rice bag things, a box of those will do you for food for ages if your hungry enough and they take minimal water, something like 2Tbl spoons which means you get the rest for a brew.

And I'm with Spike a wooley blankets your best friend in this country, and a good books your second.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Considering its winter and there may well be snow at some point I am fairly surprised that nobody carries a shovel in the boot.

We always had one in the boot during winter when we lived on the farm as it was needed to spread roadsalt and dig drifts.

Other then that I don't see the point in carrying loads of stuff bar a flask of hot water and brew kit that I use at work anyway.
Oh and basic car tools.
The hot water can be used in the radiator if needed.
Oh yeah, jump leads and a footpump.

Jeez do you lot live in Siberia or the UK :confused:
How long do you suppose your going to be trapped in the middle of nowhere?
Its hard to get more than a couple of miles away from civilization in the UK so getting stuck out there is even more unlikely.

Reactions: big_swede

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE