My 1st Kydex Sheath Attempt (Doug Ritter MK5)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
Hello,

As Iam new to this forum I thought Id start by showing my 1st attempt at a Kydex sheath for a Doug Ritter MK5, Its a good little neck knife at a good price from Heinnie's about £20.95 Not to sharp out the box but with a bit of work got in razor sharp,
As for the sheath made of plastic and not a good fit, :(

img-00001.gif

img-00002.gif

So went ahead and built a press bought some Kydex, clamps, heat gun ect and gave it ago at making a better one.
Here's the 1st result.

img-00003.gif

img-00006.gif

img-00005.gif

I decided to hold it together with x-small single cap rivets as I don't have a eyelet press!
Hold's together well and has a very good fit with a good snap click. Also has hole's drilled for a small Tec-Lock.
All in all very happy with the out come can only learn and get better!
Any feedback would be Appreciated.:)

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Looks nice,it was very smart to start small,later on you can make bigger sheaths.
It's certainly better than the original one!

Theo

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Fantastic mate, I would love to have a go at Kydex sheath making, where did you by the kydex from and do you have a pic of your press?

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
Thanks guy's for the positive feedback, got some Kydex sheet's off a friend of mine to play around with..
Here's the Press..

kydexpress01.gif

kydexpress02.gif

Must say its all about the foam, On the larger press I used a kneeing pad from the garden section at B&Q and the smaller one I used a old yoga mat, works ok and give's quite a good impression but I got hold of some off cut's of proper neoprene foam. I put this on top of the foam Ive got in the presses at the moment and give's a fantastic impression!! It really make's a difference!!

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Fantastic, you forgot to mention that the googley eyes also help to "form the shape quicker and cleaner whilst making the finished article holding the shape for up to 3x longer than without the use of eyes"

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Excellent thread! I have the same knife, I have lost the sheath that came with it & have started playing with kydex. I will have a go at making one tommorow I think. I like tre press a lot by the way, I may well be fabricating something similar tommorow as well.

Interesting about the foam, as I tried it with some fairly stiff white foam (that some IT equipment was delivered in) & did not get too good an impression. I have some dutch army mat scraps, which are solid but a bit more squidy so will give that a go. Neoprene is also doable, so will definatly give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
Thanks and good luck! let me know how you get on with the press and sheath. would be good to see some photos and see what sort of style sheath you come up with and be able to compare.

Matty 2 Fatty

Jan 23, 2011
London
These are the new and improved sheaths that i have left over after making some for mates.

3x Doug Ritter MK5 Sheaths with 550 paracord neck and knife lanyard with glow in the dark beads.
IMG-20110204-00040.jpg

Can be worn around the neck for both right or left hand users and adjusted to fit.
IMG-20110204-00042.jpg

IMG-20110204-00043.jpg

Can be fitted vertical to a small Tec-Lock for use on a belt. Left or right hand use.
IMG-20110204-00047.jpg

Can be fitted horizontal as well on a small Tec-Lock for use on a belt as well. Left or right hand use.
IMG-20110204-00044.jpg

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice work, makes me want to have a go at kydex, I've been tempted to try for some time now. Good stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE