Hultafors wins again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
38359912015_61d8a2e0f0_o.jpg

38359909895_2c0554938b_o.jpg

24373516997_c83dfa8341_o.jpg

So over the last few weeks I've been looking at getting a larger axe to compliment my smaller HB hunting axe with something a bit more powerfull/leverage for small felling. Anyways I was originally looking at getting a Gransfors either a wilderness or scandinavian forest but they are never instock anywhere and I got close on a bid on Ebay but lost. So I thought rationally, the Hultafor is already perfect for what it is so why pay more?

As you can see I ended up getting a Hultafors classic chopper and there is not much info online about his specific axe so I thought I'd make a post. You can see from the photos some of the important thing for an axe and everying is next to perfect just like my other HB, very straight grain, polished and shaving sharp bit, wedge and fit is very tight. I did put a lick of linseed oil on th haft but that's about it and the sheath is just the standard sheath which I intend to mod like my other to make it a button snap like GB axes.

All in all a really good axe for the money, couldn't fault a single thing, that being said I would like to handle a GB to see what all the fuss is about but to be honest I can't see how it could be much better other than the sheath which doesn't really matter to me. Also should mention I got it from KnivesandTools and they threw in a free lanksy sharping puck which was nice.

Cheers.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I love my HB Chopping Axe, it doesn't look this new any longer though, bit battered and stained, no complaints whatsoever though.

DSCN3509 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

leon-1

The SY20 is pretty much the equivalent of the Scandanavian Forest Axe, but a hell of a lot cheaper. The trekking axe family are good as well, the 600gm hatchet fitted to a 19 inch helve is competition for the small forest axe, the 800gm trekker we normally refer to as the man hatchet and the 900gm trekking axe is a beast. The hobby splitting axe (not available in the UK) is superb and actually better than the splitting axe in my opinion.

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
I actually sold my Scandinavian forest axe in favour of this particular model. To be honest it works just as well as a Gransfors and is so much cheaper!

Reactions: scruff

leon-1

They are sound axes. I have a couple floating around not my go to axe but certainly a decent tool.

I have a box full of axes now. In amongst them I have the SY20, the 900gm, 800gm, 600gm trekking axes, the splitting axe and the hobby splitter all are Hultafors and they tend to be my goto kit. I have also got a 600gm trekking hatchet head fitted to a 19 inch handle which handles better than a GB SFA IMO. I also have a GB SFA, GB Hunters axe, Norlund hatchet, Wilkinson sword hatchet, Fiskars splitting axe, Warren Axe "Old Faithful", Snow & Nealley Hudson bay Axe amongst others.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
I have around a dozen axes ranging from 1/2Lb to 7Lb. None of them less than 100 years old, none of them cost me more than £5 and, using the right one for the job, never found them lacking in ability to do what I want.
That's very true, my most used axe is a £10 brades i restored for carving and splitting small fire wood. That being said I was having trouble finding something in the 2-3lb mark as a middle axe, I've got a heavier 5lb welsh pattern but I wanted something shorter/lighter for packing and I didn't mind paying new knowing It's going to last me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE