Music with feeling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Right at the beginning of the film Braveheart there is some music that plays as the camera pans over the highlands of Scotland... it always makes the hairs on my arm stand on end and I get a weird feeling when I hear it. I now associate that feeling with Scotland, probably because of a daft film, but still... the music makes me feel something.

Same feeling about a particular track in the Last of the Mohicans... and that isn't as daft as Braveheart... can't be a fluke surely.

Am I alone in that?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Yes you are, but it's OK to be bonkers so long as you don't harm anyone :p

Good to know :D

Just watched the end of the Last of the Mohicans... damn, thats a good film... might have to dust off the VHS machine and give it a whirl! :D

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Most people associate the Haka with the New Zealand Rugby Team and the challange laid down before battle commences on the pitch.

I recently found out they are performed for other occasions also, funerals included.

The one below sets me off:

[video=youtube;xI6TRTBZUMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No there's a lot of good music in films and they do.work on the feelings. (Though even the thought of Braveheart makes my heart sink).
Was talking about music today when 'round at a mates. He was cleaning a beveled hexagonal mirror with a red cloth and it brought the Schools TV program of yore Picture box to mind. (Don't know if you're old enough to remember it and the round countdown clock while waiting for it to start. It's a sort of Victorian hurdy gurdy creepy tune as the glass box rotates on a red velvet cushion. Both of us could do the tune 30 odd years after last hearing it. So we watched a rather trippy episode about Dutch windmills an the creepy presenter on YouTube.

Trying to think of my favourite movie music just now. Difficult, are we talking stuff written for the movie or film like Pulp Fiction where they've raided the cool Jukebox.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is Haka Taparahi.. they are without weapons... just as valid, but not pure Haka.... I would like to see pure Haka, but not if I'm facing them on a battle field!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
even the thought of Braveheart makes my heart sink

Close your eyes and listen when the music plays over the highlands of Scotland and imagine your favourite bit of Scotland... it is amazingly in tune with the highlands and the lowlands for that matter... the film is pure *&%^& but the sentiment is real... its that fighting spirit of people oppressed who want to strike out at the oppressor. It is quite emotional when they add a musical score to that.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
of
Right at the beginning of the film Braveheart there is some music that plays as the camera pans over the highlands of Scotland... it always makes the hairs on my arm stand on end and I get a weird feeling when I hear it. I now associate that feeling with Scotland, probably because of a daft film, but still... the music makes me feel something.

Same feeling about a particular track in the Last of the Mohicans... and that isn't as daft as Braveheart... can't be a fluke surely.

Am I alone in that?

Not at all, well composed and well performed music will tend to "get" people at an emotional level, because it is made that way...and that is true of any form of Art .

Ceeg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As long as no-one brings up the music and film "Frozen" we'll all be safe. :eek:

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
+1 seagull. Any good music should provoke some sort of feeling, its a trick used in film and television almost permanently (though the 'fit' and balance of it is skilled). I suppose thats why they have oscars etc for best score / soundtrack.

Personally, the tune at the end of gladiator (russel crowes version, not the athletic gameshow!) tends to bring a lump to my throat. I'm sure I read it was adapted from some sort of ethnic mourning song, but it just fits that piece of film well and heightens the emotion of the piece.

Watch a bit of crap telly and see on the other hand bow badly it is often applied. The 'dum dum' at the end of Eastenders is classic (and clichė) but stuff like bake-off adding ridiculously dramatic music to the burnt flapjack moments etc is comical.

Goatboy, 'Let it go' mate. From the log cabin office thread it sounded like 'the cold doesn't bother you anyway'...
;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Goatboy, 'Let it go' mate. From the log cabin office thread it sounded like 'the cold doesn't bother you anyway'...
;)

:confused: Errr, I haven't posted in that thread. :confused: ;) but good movie reference.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Although it was never used in the film, this piece never ceases to remind me of the final scene in 'El Cid'.

[video=youtube;X9DOtuPLqNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9DOtuPLqNI[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Name of the piece has gone from my head but te scene in Platoon where Elias? (Willem Defoe) is being chased and shot by the Viet Cong always bristles the hair on my neck.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Whilst one of the mist moving pieces is Nimrod by Elgar, it'll be round soon as we march on towards Remembrance Day, quite a lot of Enio Morricone is pretty good and is in loads of films. Quite a few cowboy films but also lots more other ones than you might realise.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Right at the beginning of the film Braveheart there is some music that plays as the camera pans over the highlands of Scotland..."

This one...

[video=youtube;rPoxLQMTisI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPoxLQMTisI[/video]

...it is a good tune, one of the few things about 'that' film that was good.

I once used it as a bit of background music for a photo slideshow of a long walk in Scotland, made to send to a French girl I'd met while walking in France in the hope that she'd come for a wander in the highlands.

She did. :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This one...

[video=youtube;rPoxLQMTisI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPoxLQMTisI[/video]

...it is a good tune, one of the few things about 'that' film that was good.

I once used it as a bit of background music for a photo slideshow of a long walk in Scotland, made to send to a French girl I'd met while walking in France in the hope that she'd come for a wander in the highlands.

She did. :)

You old smoothie Sandbender. :cool:

Cheers Mr Kelly. A cracking melding of visual and audio.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This one did it for me when I saw it in the cinema...

[video=youtube;NQXVzg2PiZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQXVzg2PiZw[/video]

If you've seen the movie you'll know the scene near the end where this is playing, that may have helped. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE