Human Nature - The problem with people.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Direct Link

Or the title is

"Could You Survive with Nothing but the Airplane Kit? We Try / Fail - BC Mountains - Flight VLOG"
Good call Jared, watched the VLOG, one night out using their kits and some good pointers too.

Firstly, your clothes are your first line of defense so dress appropriately, secondly get some knowledge and learn how to use what's in your kit.

Loved the guys Mylar shelter and folding chair.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
"Lead, follow or get out the way" is a good phrase.

Interestingly, wife and I have very similar characters and on some renovation jobs we did together there was a day or two of bickering before I called a "meeting", where I said that to continue various jobs, we need to designate a leader and a follower on each various job and once that is established the leader makes the final call.
(It really worked, after the black eye subsided I did as I was told the entire time...)
I jest, but in all seriousness it did work, we realised that actually it became a lot easier and the quality of communication rose and more often than not the leadership role gently faded until it was two people working for the same goal. It started off with the designated leader stating that he/she knew how to do X part of the job, but not Y and that's when the ideas for Y started flowing, the plan gently found its own momentum.

I think in any survival based situation, the situation and the goals have to be established. How to achieve each goal if known and then work to that common ground, the reality is leadership will come naturally as time progresses and it'll be earned leadership rather than assumed leadership. In my opinion anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: MrEd and TeeDee

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Leadership is key for survival, if you read any historical account of a survival scenario be it at sea or on land a leader (sometimes the most unexpected person) is what holds things together, likewise there are plenty of accounts where the leader has finally snapped and shortly after the group perished if no one steps up to take the place.

One thing I find interesting with modern society is there is always reference to the Alpha male but for most of human evolution aka the millions of years pre-Christian most societies where matriarchal as the women ran things due to male expediency, i.e the guys were killed off hunting or in tribe disputes. As a aside from that clearly people like the bushmen or the native Americans still tended to be patriarchal (Although I'm sure there were many a women behind the scenes offering their advice!). The point being as a species either gender has the strength to lead and sometimes it takes a stronger male contingent to follow a female leader who in turn because a much stronger leader. (I hope that makes sense)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Good call Jared, watched the VLOG, one night out using their kits and some good pointers too.

Firstly, your clothes are your first line of defense so dress appropriately, secondly get some knowledge and learn how to use what's in your kit.

Loved the guys Mylar shelter and folding chair.

And tipping his pot, dousing his fire. :lol:

Also the beaded guy expands on the story when he got stuck.
Almost froze to death on a Mountain...

Also his videos from the course from his perspective
Worst night of my life. Survival Training
Worst night of my life, Part 2. Survival Training Recap.

• Haha
Reactions: Harold Godwinson

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Every soldier is a beta male until they have to be a alpha.

I actually think the whole Alpha things rubbish anyway, most people aren't Alpha's they are just people with an opinion, most people would pooh their pants if they had to actually be a alpha in a extreme situation.

Better to be a live beta than a dead Alpha!

What's the letter on the spartan shield? I'd opt for that - carrying it rather than on it!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Every soldier is a beta male until they have to be a alpha.

I actually think the whole Alpha things rubbish anyway, most people aren't Alpha's they are just people with an opinion, most people would pooh their pants if they had to actually be a alpha in a extreme situation.

Better to be a live beta than a dead Alpha!

What's the letter on the spartan shield? I'd opt for that - carrying it rather than on it!

But also

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Lamba eh, good enough for me.

I tell you something, my wife's an alpha, I'm every other letter in the alphabet put into what ever order suits the situation!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Actually rethinking this, it's interesting that we're discussing how to be XYZ in various situations, I think @Harold Godwinson somewhat summed this up, when doodoo hits the fan, things will naturally fall into place... if they don't naturally fall into place then the doodoo hasn't hit the fan properly yet.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Expanding on that Scottie, if the doodoo hits the fan its usualy because the xyz hasnt fallen into place.

Well true, but I meant more in a survival situation where folks are thrown in at the deep end...they'll naturally figure out the plan.

In a less than survival situation it's a case of adults bring in the wild, it's up to them what pecking order they get into...

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Few alpha's are genuine, most are just over confident people with an ego!

On reality TV an alpha is someone reasonably good looking who has a tattoo and go's to the gym :)

...and tells people they're an alpha.

I think it'll fade out over time. It's the same notion as "cool". There is an image of cool people that springs to mind, it changes with fads and tends, but eventually you start to realise the only cool people are the ones that are true to themselves and get on with their own lives and never refer to themselves as cool...

CrispyDuck

Dec 31, 2020
Londonish
Alpha is a strange thing. Take my parents for example. People that meet them and presume that as my Mum is the alpha as she is loud, outspoken and sociable. And that my quiet, introverted Dad just takes a back seat and is bossed around.
It couldn’t be further from the truth. No one can get my Dad to do anything he doesn’t want to. He’s stubborn and comfortable in himself. I would say he makes all the big decisions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE