mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Have many of you been out mushroom picking in the last couple of days?

Yesterday I went out for a couple of hours around a few good spots which I’ve found in the past and was surprised with the amount of mushrooms about. It’s been pretty lame until now around here...

I found 17 species in total. 11 of which were edible. A cracking day foraging.

I got two questions...

Stinkhorn
90405.jpg">

90404.jpg">

Stinkhorns... Amazing…. Ha how can it look so close to something else...? I’ve read in a lot of books that the egg is edible... Has anyone eaten one? Most books I’ve read said that it was probably eaten as an aphrodisiac... Must be some goodness in it!

Have anyone ever tried to cultivate any wild mushrooms? I’m going to give it a go this year and would love some tips...

:p Den

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi, Mycology is such a fascinating subject, stink horns are quite mild and mushroomy in egg form. I've been out today found some fantastic sulphur polypore (chicken of the woods) several species of Boletes, Field mushrooms and also some aniseed funnel caps beautiful spearmint blue fungi with a faint hint of aniseed aroma, best dried. Also found some Birch russula which needs simmering and water changing 3/4 times before the bitterness subsides some species of boletes need this preparation also. Remember to cut the stem and check for maggot infestation before you take the mushy home this is a major problem with Boletes othewise you'll be getting more of a feed than you think :yikes: , Best to collect a few mushys in either a basket or a brown paper bag to prevent sweating and only collect a few otherwise next years crop will be poor and some may not be to your taste anyways. Conditions are perfect at the mo warm wet and a full moon perfect fungi growing weather.If in doubt leave it out is a good rule of thumb but most fungi taste bitter or rank if not prepared correctly but you wont die from eating them, worst that may happen is you get the squirts to put it bluntly, so don't eat a plateful try a little 1st see how you go :wink: , the Death cap and the Destroying angel both white Amantia Sp mushrooms will do you severe harm some times death follows ingestion,these are yellowy white slim stemmed mushrooms with a distinct ring a round the stem ( remnant of the gill covering when growing) Remember stick to a couple you are certain of or what you know to start with that you like the taste of, and any left overs from boiling may be pickled for further consumption in 40% pickling vinegar 60% water,
Happy Shrooming :hyper: oh check this link out http://www.tastymushroompartnership.co.uk/ lots of good mushroomy info for you :wave:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Paganwolf said:
I've been out today found some fantastic sulphur polypore (chicken of the woods

Lucky man.. One of my Favourite. I've been trying to get hold of some for cultivation. I know a few good spots where in past years have been good for chicken in the woods but no such luck this year. :?:

I’ve been out again today on some old pasture land which is normally good for parasol and field mushrooms, not much about there. The old manure pile in the corner of the field came up trumps again for giant puff balls. This is the fifth year I've gone to a little spot between the nettles and a nice big puffer has been waiting.

Cheers
Den :p

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
talking of mushrooms ... last weekend, at the meet up, someone had what looked like a puffball .. but cut it open to find a meaty black filling ... i left before hearing any results from the knowledgeable plant people ... can't remember who it was now .. anyone?

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hmmm earthball may have been a common or smooth earthball insides start white but turn dark as they age.. maybe who knows? I like my milder mushrooms lightly fried in butter or olive oil either sliced or whole Mmmmmmmmmmmushroomy :eek:): yum yum

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Simon said:
talking of mushrooms ... last weekend, at the meet up, someone had what looked like a puffball .. but cut it open to find a meaty black filling ... i left before hearing any results from the knowledgeable plant people ... can't remember who it was now .. anyone?
That was a common earthball.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE