Spreading fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Anyone tried spreading fungi from one place to another with any success?

I found a patch of St Georges where I wouldn't wish to eat them from. Whilst confirming their ID I noticed the following comment on wildfooduk - "seems to grow quite successfully when old mushrooms that are too maggoty for the pot have been carefully placed in the right environment." I also found the like growing under hawthorn and as I have a mixed hawthorn hedge I planted a few years back I've got the perfect spot to try spreading them. I've placed several caps there so time may tell.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To be honest, the 'fruiting' of fungi is so unpredictable I doubt you would know if it had worked for years unless you were very lucky. I have a troop of St George's fungi growing in grassland on the wood margin that has never been there before, so I can't imaging that I would be able to persuade them to grow anywhere.

Reactions: CLEM and Aneirin

ManFriday4

Nomad
Nov 13, 2021
Oxfordshire
I grow Shii take mushrooms on logs. To get them to fruite i "shock" the logs 3-4 times a year. They don't spread.

But, if you garden with woodchip as your main composting material then Bluits can be cultivated and they will start turning up all over the garden. You need deciduous woodchip.

Oysters mushrooms too will colonise the woodchip.

You can get growing starter kits & adhice here.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Anyone tried spreading fungi from one place to another with any success?

I found a patch of St Georges where I wouldn't wish to eat them from. Whilst confirming their ID I noticed the following comment on wildfooduk - "seems to grow quite successfully when old mushrooms that are too maggoty for the pot have been carefully placed in the right environment." I also found the like growing under hawthorn and as I have a mixed hawthorn hedge I planted a few years back I've got the perfect spot to try spreading them. I've placed several caps there so time may tell.
You can also do what is known as a Blewitt Bomb. You take the leaf litter where wood blewitt mushrooms have grown and distribute it in a similar enviroment else where. I found out about it also from Wild Food UK. I have done a couple this year. So it will more than likely be next season till I know if it has worked. That said wood blewitts often survive the frosts and I did it ages ago so who knows. Any results and I will post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE