mushroom spores

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,

Has anyone had any experience of looking at mushroom spores under a microscope? I've been looking about evil-bay and there are a couple of USB hand-held jobbies that will display 50-100 times magnification on your laptop. Is this enough to use them to aid in mushroom diagnosis?

Or if they are useless, any recommendation's for a cheap(ish) microscope that I can use? I'm not sure if the hand-held field ones are powerfull enough to display the spores or not..

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't think x100 mag would be enough. Also a webcam or phone camera can be mounted on very easliy on the eye piece to which the can be veiwed on a PC without eye strian.

I don't use a microscope. The only time I seen a descent image of a spore was with a oil imersion microscope (x1000)at uni 15 years ago. I have learned to do without but most modern fields guides tend to use microscopic info. I would make things alot easier and quicker with a mircoscope. Remember to calculate magification multiply whats on the eye piece by the objective.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Dave,

I bought one of those Intel USB microscopes (for the kids of course ;) ). It's OK for looking at fly wings, fossils etc but for spores I would imagine that you would need the sort of kit used in palynology which means a decent microscope. As Xylaria said you really need oil immersion for the higher magnifications (and lenses made for oil - don't try it on any others!).

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Did 3 years of microscope work at Uni, I did botany so there was lots of mycology in there too.

Buy a second hand proper microscope. As with most things optical it's not the numbers but the quality of the glass lenses that matters.

Something like this or this would be ideal. A good microscope is an investment, a cheap one is next to useless.

You will probably need to learn some staining techniques for viewing spores etc.

You might find this site useful too.

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE