Mushroom ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Can anyone identify this? Sorry - i don't have pics of the underneath or anything - was just a quick snap. I looked in a book - but could not identify it at all. Was seen growing on a live tree in Buckinghamshire. It was fairly large - about the size of my open hand.

swIsC0s.jpg

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Could be Dryads Saddle sometimes known as Pheasant Back, but google for the details yourself to be sure :)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Impressive example, certainly looks like it to me.
Looking at the size it's too big for eating if you were tempted, I tried once and caught it too late, tougher than old boots.

As with any fungi ensure you are 100% confident on what it is before thinking about eating as ID mistakes can be made.

But as the late Terry Pratchett once said, all fungi are edible once!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I'd have said Dryads saddle too but would need to see it to be sure

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Unfortunately even experts make mistakes in fungi identification.

I bought myself the Collins Fungi guide with the hope of safely identifying edible mushrooms but having seen how closely alike some mushrooms are I'm not sure I would be ever 100% confident, especially given how even two examples of the same species can be very different.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have been obsessed with fungi since i was 13, been taking learning about them seriously since i was 27, still know nothing comparatively now aged 41, I admin a Mycology forum and still consider myself a total novice and always will be, if you want to be serious about fungi identification you need to add a microscope to your Collins guide and learn how to take, analyse and compare spore prints, you need to go beyond the macro perspective

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It is an amazing life enriching hobby just learning about them, I know many mycology obsessed people who do it for no other reason that amazing pictures and getting out in the woods and fields just after it has been raining.

I like to eat them for food and medicine and educational entertainment in regular life and use them for bushcrafting purposes like tinder and first aid in what i wish was my real life.

Golden rule is you do not eat unless you are sure, when you are sure it is even better if people you consider to be the people you learn from are also sure, but you have to speak that way in regards to being a beginner, there are fungi you can recognise immediately and never ever get wrong and will never ever forget without any help like if you have ever held a real chanterelle and a false chanterelle at the same time you will never mix them up again, same goes for the morel, once you have held a true morel and seen and held a false morel together the difference is clear to even the touch senses, but trying to distinguish from agreed on character trait and descriptions from books is very hard especially when starting out, first thing needed is an understanding of the wordage and phraseology or glossary of mycology and what they mean by a say a partially attached veil or an annulus of tissue or what is being described by saying the cap of the type of fungi you are hunting is hygrophanous, it seems never ending and baffling at first but once you get some the glossary and understand the visual actual of what is being described the books become a lot more useful, best way is getting out in good conditions with someone who teaches it

My apologies for the ramble, i might have mentioned somewhere up thread the passion bit :)

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
I'd be happy to be able to confidently recognise half a dozen common edible mushrooms. Purely for the satisfaction of knowing that I am able to forage for food.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like a great goal to start you on a life of mycology

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It is an amazing life enriching hobby just learning about them, I know many mycology obsessed people who do it for no other reason that amazing pictures and getting out in the woods and fields just after it has been raining.

I like to eat them for food and medicine and educational entertainment in regular life and use them for bushcrafting purposes like tinder and first aid in what i wish was my real life.

Golden rule is you do not eat unless you are sure, when you are sure it is even better if people you consider to be the people you learn from are also sure, but you have to speak that way in regards to being a beginner, there are fungi you can recognise immediately and never ever get wrong and will never ever forget without any help like if you have ever held a real chanterelle and a false chanterelle at the same time you will never mix them up again, same goes for the morel, once you have held a true morel and seen and held a false morel together the difference is clear to even the touch senses, but trying to distinguish from agreed on character trait and descriptions from books is very hard especially when starting out, first thing needed is an understanding of the wordage and phraseology or glossary of mycology and what they mean by a say a partially attached veil or an annulus of tissue or what is being described by saying the cap of the type of fungi you are hunting is hygrophanous, it seems never ending and baffling at first but once you get some the glossary and understand the visual actual of what is being described the books become a lot more useful, best way is getting out in good conditions with someone who teaches it

My apologies for the ramble, i might have mentioned somewhere up thread the passion bit :)
Spot on bud. Thank you!👍
That's really good advice .
This is the essentially where I get lost.
Mycology Glossary book on wish list...

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The more comprehensive fungi books will have a glossary section in the back of similar thickness to the index

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
A few good books are the Collins complete guide (the older version by Paul Sterry & Barry Hughes)
Mushrooms by Roger Phillips
And Edible mushrooms by our own forum expert Geoff Dann

The first two books can be found cheaply via Amazon etc secondhand

I tend to use all three for images and descriptions as photos are not always the best way to id but can help.
If you are not going to get into using a microscope doing a spore print is fun and can also help.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Geoff Dann's book really is a forager's treasure.

I'm still a beginner but i can see how addictive it can be .

There's great satisfaction in making an omelette with the mushrooms you harvested and sprinkling it with the wild garlic flavour of the ransoms ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE