MSR or Optimis Stove?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Given it is not always appropriate to light a small fire for cocking when in the woods and even when you have permission, which of the following would you recommend as the more robust piece of kit and what other recommendations do you have for a small multi-fuel stove/burner that is not problematic and will last?

1. MSR XGK EX
2. OPTIMUS NOVA +

Cheers!

I don't think for one minute that a whisperlite can be described as "robust":rolleyes: Well the burner unit, integrated stand and fuel pipe are well up to the job it's the fuel pump thats cack! I've had two crack on me already and by no means are these abused pieces of kit. The plastic pump that screws into the fuel bottle goes very brittle over a short period of time and even turning off the fuel switch which is on the pump, can cause a hairline crack; often this can lead to a catastrophic failure of the pump:eek: (explosion risk). I don't know if they have ever resolved this issue but I'm on my third pump and it is different from no's 1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, these are Awesom stoves, absolutley reliable and were used by the Brittish Antartic Survey in their survival kits but there are better stoves out there that have more robust pumps and have a simmer control instead of a flame throwing jet engine!:lmao:

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
Having had an MSR xgk 11 and currently owning an optimus Nova I would go for the Nova. I know that the new XGK ex has the ability to simmer but the Nova is very well made and has a metal pump which IMO is more robust than the MSR. Also if you have a trangia you can put the Nova in the trangia with a fairly cheap conversion kit, to give you a multi fuel trangia.
Just my thoughts.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My Nova+ let me down for the first time this weekend. I took it out and tried lighting it up but it just wouldn't go, even the magic tool wouldn't sort it and I tried jiggling the jet cleaner by shaking the unlit burner unit but nothing was happening. I still don't know what was wrong with it, but I was able to field strip it, wipe the few parts down and reassemble it in a matter of minutes. It fired straight up after that and all was well. As far as I am concerned, it is an excellent unit, the pump is robust once you make a small modification (which may not be necessary in all cases but was in mine) and apart from this one incident I have never had a problem with it. If I was to go off and needed a stove I could depend on, it would be the Nova+.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think for one minute that a whisperlite can be described as "robust":rolleyes: Well the burner unit, integrated stand and fuel pipe are well up to the job it's the fuel pump thats cack! I've had two crack on me already and by no means are these abused pieces of kit. The plastic pump that screws into the fuel bottle goes very brittle over a short period of time and even turning off the fuel switch which is on the pump, can cause a hairline crack; often this can lead to a catastrophic failure of the pump:eek: (explosion risk). I don't know if they have ever resolved this issue but I'm on my third pump and it is different from no's 1 and 2.

Don't get me wrong, these are Awesom stoves, absolutley reliable and were used by the Brittish Antartic Survey in their survival kits but there are better stoves out there that have more robust pumps and have a simmer control instead of a flame throwing jet engine!:lmao:

I've never had any issues with my pump WS and it's knocking on for 8 years old now, guess I've just be a bit more fortunate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Standard Nova or Nova plus although I've heard good reports from fellow stove collectors about the XGK.

From stoves I own and actually use I would opt for the Nova, or if you may want to burn gas from time to time the Primus Omnifuel (burns all fuels including gas).

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Never had a MSR so can't comment really but the reason I haven't had one is all the negative comments I have heard about their reliablity.

I've a old style Nova and its been flawless so far (about 2 years use so far), If you can get one do so rather than the Nova + which seams a retrograde step. There's no real advantage in the "advances" and the parts ain't as robust. Also on the old one you could pick the thing up while it was still hot/running if you had to shift/steady it in a hurry.

TinOnNova.jpg

Pic from when it was all shiny and relatively new, I can't say as I use the Crusader on it, I got some Primus hard anodised jobs. The wind shield is a cut down cheapo job, the bit left over made a correct sized shield for a Click-stand.

Also the fuel tank is a proper bright red colour not a rather sissy green!

ATB

Tom

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've had the Nova and the omnifuel and to be honest I am not impressed. The Nova wasn't that good at swapping fuels and blocked regularly and the Omnifuel let me down last weekend because the clip on bit of metal that spreads the jet of fuel from the burner fell off and got lost. Really unimpressed by them - Trangia or Honey stove all the way

rancid badger

I've never had any issues with my pump WS and it's knocking on for 8 years old now, guess I've just be a bit more fortunate.

Second that; I got my MSR Whisperlite in 1993 ( 2nd hand) and apart from a regular maintenance strip and full clean, I've not had any real trouble with it.

Actually, I tell a lie:eek: I managed to snap the very end of the pump handle off, when my bergen became detached from a stowage bin on the move once. I was able to fix this, using milliput, epoxy putty ( a small amount of which, I keep in my E kit:rolleyes: ) It's still going strong on the same repair;)

they are excellent tools but I imagine that like most 'classics', the latest versions may not be of the same build quality:(

cheers

R.B.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
they are excellent tools but I imagine that like most 'classics', the latest versions may not be of the same build quality:(

MSR stoves are as good as they always were if not better as the new pump is a lot better than the old ones.

MSR stoves always seem to get knocked for the pump quality and to a degree it's true. But there have been lots of differing pumps for the stoves. I'll explain.

V1 Yellow pump this is the oldest MSR type of pump and is commonly found on really old XGK's or GK stoves or the old Firefly remember those??? It was a really good pump made from yellow plastic and had a aluminium pump rod. If you've got one keep it... It's the best pump MSR ever made which isn't surprising as it predates MSR being bought by Cascade Designs....

V2 Black and Grey all plastic. A more modular pump with a plastic moulded pump plunger. The pump rod is locked into the body with a 2 piece collet arrangement which uses bayonet style locking lugs these can fail and make the pump U/S but generally it is pretty solid just dont pump to enthusiastically.

V3 Red / Grey plastic.... Nasty and cheap often prone to failure around the neck of the pump where it screws into the fuel bottle...

V4 Red / Blue Plastic Nasty Same as above

V5 Duraseal pump as fitted to the latest stoves. Very good pump far better quality can be retrofitted to all of the older stoves just get the right version for your stove 1 (Red Grey) fits all MSR stoves except the Dragonfly the other ( all Red) fits the Dragonfly only...

I actually like MSR stoves and have used quite a few models over the years and have an original XGK and a GK and I think there is a Whisperlite somewhere also. They are great but pretty poor at simmering which isn't surprising as they're really designed to melt snow for water at high altitude not knock up a bachmel sauce without lumps... All roarer burner stoves Primus Omnifuel , Optimus Novas etc are also very loud... In an 'F111 on full after burner' way.. Which can get tiresome...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I had an MSR Whisperlite; I've got an Optimus Nova (not the Nova +). I think the latter is an excellent stove and has never failed in seven years. I think part of the secret to happy lives with stoves is being fussy with your fuel and, where possible, getting stuff that is as 'clean' (i.e. reliably sourced - not always easy!) as possible.

I prefer the Nova over the MSR numbers purely because of the durability of the pump and the easy 'switchoff/depressurising thing: you just flip over the bottle. In reality, both stoves are a bit of a fiddle to maintain in the field but the Nova gets the nod on the strength of its pump.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've had the Nova and the omnifuel and to be honest I am not impressed. The Nova wasn't that good at swapping fuels and blocked regularly and the Omnifuel let me down last weekend because the clip on bit of metal that spreads the jet of fuel from the burner fell off and got lost. Really unimpressed by them - Trangia or Honey stove all the way

If you don't like them do you want to sell them, subject to price I'll buy.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
John, one of the American stovies is making a little 'Silent' damper you can use with the Nova, 96, 123, 8's, 80's + 81's :cool:

Rik,

That does sound interesting... If he comes up with one for the XGK then I'm interested...

I like the older stoves a lot... An Optimus 00 would cover off most peoples needs in a bushcraft situation I would think and you can simmer on it unlike an XGK or my Primus Multifuel... Basecamp had some Optimus 00's complete but in unknown condition for 10 quid I got one and it's a belting stove all I did was change the pump leather and swap out the NRV for a new one...

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Thanks guys this is all very helpful if a little confusing!:confused:

I hadn't appreciated the non "simmer" and noise issues with these stoves having never used one and perhaps need to re-thing my needs.

All I'm looking to do is boil water, fry eggs and bacon and maybe a few squirrel livers. The Coleman duel burner unit I have now is fine to leave in the truck but would take up half a Bison Bushcraft pack and rattle like hell. What then my choices in a compact and robust multi-fuel burner without the high altitude credentials? Guess I could cope with something twice as large as the two units mentioned now I think about it but reliability and strength remain the key issues. I HATE plastic!

Cheers

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
All I'm looking to do is boil water, fry eggs and bacon and maybe a few squirrel livers.

Hi,

For a stove without the noise issues and that can simmer but still puts out a fair amount of heat and is not too pricey I'd say one of the coleman single burner models is hard to beat..

I think they are now called "exponents"

http://www.bchcamping.co.uk/product/641/COLEMAN_EXPONENT_FEATHER_442_UNLEADED_STOVE

Is the old Peak 1 Feather 400 series reborn.. I have 1 and its a very good stove BUT you MUST run it on White Gasoline / Coleman fuel / Panel wipe Never run it on automotive petrol else you'll clog the generator tube in very short order. Coleman say it will run on unleaded petrol which it will but that Will clog the generator tube....

Spares are readily available the only real downside is it's heavier than a Nova or MSR and they can be a pain to prime in VERY cold weather ( think South Georgia in a Blizzard not Swift Valley in March type cold).

That would be my suggestion but it's only a suggestion....

rancid badger

MSR stoves are as good as they always were if not better as the new pump is a lot better than the old ones.

V2 Black and Grey all plastic. A more modular pump with a plastic moulded pump plunger. The pump rod is locked into the body with a 2 piece collet arrangement which uses bayonet style locking lugs these can fail and make the pump U/S but generally it is pretty solid just dont pump to enthusiastically.

V3 Red / Grey plastic.... Nasty and cheap often prone to failure around the neck of the pump where it screws into the fuel bottle...

V4 Red / Blue Plastic Nasty Same as above

V5 Duraseal pump as fitted to the latest stoves. Very good pump far better quality can be retrofitted to all of the older stoves just get the right version for your stove 1 (Red Grey) fits all MSR stoves except the Dragonfly the other ( all Red) fits the Dragonfly only...
I have the black and grey version;)

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE