Mountain Equipment Co-op

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 8, 2006
Mississauga, Canada
Just thought I would offer my 2 pence worth...
There is a great outfitter here in Canada for outdoor gear called Mountain Equipment Co-op. (www.mec.ca)
It might be of interest to those visiting here or anyone interested in different gear.
As it is a co-op you have to join($5 Cdn), but as a co-op it provides slightly better prices than open market. I know they ship internationally, and I imagine that the British Pound will do rather well, against our enemic 'loonie'.
Cheers
Alex

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
MEC is the best, I have one here in Halifax and I spend WAY to much time and money there. Great gear, and great prices.

Just my plug for the MEC.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Was in Toronto last year for a few days while on holiday and just "happened" to find an ME store along the road from the hotel.....my wife couldn't believe we'd travelled all that way for me to half fill a suitcase with all sorts of "useful" bushcraft stuff .. :lmao: .....wish we'd one of these where I live

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
Just looked at the link above and am amazed at the prices eg an Old Town Pack canoe comes in at £455 when converted to pounds, they are a staggering £950 over here.

You lucky, lucky people not only do you have some of the best bushcraft country in the world but you dont get ripped off enjoying it !

regards

Shaun

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Hands down, the MEC is the best outdoor store anyone in my family has ever shopped at. It's not uncommon for a person to walk in there, and walk out hours later having spent a couple thousand dollars on gear. The prices are good, but the return policy is what the MEC is really famous for. If you buy something from them, and it breaks, no matter how old it is, they're always more than happy to repair it free or charge or replace it at their discretion. I had a two-ply Gore-Tex jacket that began to delaminate a few years ago, I took it to them and they promptly wrote me a cheque equivalent to what the jacket was when new. I was directed to the outerwear section, and I walked away with a brand spanking new Entrant GII-Xt jacket, no questions asked. The Gore-Tex jacket was thrown out; they were happy and I was happy.

Adam

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I buy various bits of kit from the States, a friend of mine over there sends it to me marked "used camping equipment" value $20, you can save a LOT of money over UK prices.

Example, Golite Hex 3 tent and Nest cost me $380 delivered, UK price in dollars is around $500 :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE