Mosquito Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
Whilst sunning myself in my dd hammock (group buy thanks sandbag) yesterday i could feel the breeze on my back which was cooling me off uncomfortably thats when i had an idea which i havnt seen on the forum so forgive me if it has already been suggested.
I put a sleeping bag (old square type) in between the mosquito net and the hammock and because the net has extra material it has more give so when you are led in the hammock the fibre is'nt depressed as if it were fitted between the two other layers leaving air for insulation, i slept in it most of last night with only the sleeping bag underneath and a thick blanket over the top and i was warm and didnt wake once because of a cold back.
(hammock used net down )

I intend to cut the bag shorter by a little and cut the corners as it narrows to the end of the hammock.

my initial intention was to sleep out untill i became too cold but i was warm enough especially from beneath, if i had used my sleepingbag with my feet tucked in the bottom pocket i would of stayed all night but my feet kept getting cold as the blanket was too short.

Has anybody else tried this method??

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
Sorry wilderbeast, i am a total dunce when it comes to computers, i dont have a digital camera either.

I will try to explain clearer,
DD travel hammock, lay it on the ground net down and insert a blanket or square sleeping bag in between the mossie net and hammock in the zipped section.
then hang your hammock, again with mossie net down.
the sleeping bag or blanket doesnt become as compressed allowing more air to act as thermal layer when its between the net and hammock as there is more space between the net and hammock. only takes two minutes too
sorry about no pic's but it really is easy, i couldnt believe how warm my back was in the hammock.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
yes there is plenty of threads about what you have wrote about theres even some showing you how to make an underblanket ....only problem is finding them ...so if you have a bit of time on your hands get looking..
also the dd website has a few tips aswell.. www.ddhammocks.com
mind you i haven't heard of anyone putting materials between the net and the material before...most put blankets, sleeping bags, rollmatts or anything that takes their fancy between the top and bottom materials..that what the velcro strips were put on for !
or you can put a underblanket on the outside of your hammock :)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I get it, sounds like it would work fine, but maybe some small concerns over whether we'd be stretching the netting too much and/or would there be airgaps between your back and the underblanket. Good idea though and sounds like it might probably work (assuming you don't live in scotland and really, really need the mozzie netting!!)

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE