mosquito/insect netting

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
been reading the posts about Lyme Disease ets, and realise the inportance of insect repelant, but how many of you use nets over your hammock and are they needed all year round or just certain months (i.e spring, summer)
can anyone suggets a good net to use with a hammock, all teh ones i've been looking at seem to be for camp beds. :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Aragorn,
The Magikelly group buy bug nets are a perfect fit for the group buy hammocks, if he ever runs another buy, I'm guessing that theres be a big uptake of them. You shouldn't need them year round in the UK, just summertime when you are being bothered by insects while walking.
I remember on one of the American hammock camping websites, the author mentioned using wedding veil material to make a cheap bug net, weighted the corners with coins and was good to go (just can't find the link at the moment).

ATB

Ogri the trog

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I only use my hammock netting when I have to as I prefer the open feeling. I know some people who use it all the time as it adds a little to the warmth. Certainly in Scotland any time from Spring till Au tum you want to make sure you have it with you as life can be a little fraught without it when the midgies are about.

I have contacted the manufacturer about doing another group buy and will post a thread if I get a positive reply.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Having got my group buy hammock netting today, just a thought regarding the bottom opening. There are popper buttons on the hem of the skirt, but there's still lots of gaps for the more perservering kind of mozzies to find a way in. Has anyone found this to be the case when it's set up or am I just being neurotic. I was thinking of adding some velcro strips to seal it off.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Everyone has had the same thoughts as you when they see the netting but so far I have ye to hear of anyone having any problems in use.

That's good to hear John. The reason I was thinking it might be a problem was because I've often laid out in my hammock (mexican type) for a siesta and not seeing a mozzie in sight, only to wake up with my **** bitten to death. The sneaky buggers always seem to come in from the blind side!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE