The Steam Tent Co-operative - Easter Tea Party

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-I.jpg

Kicking off the 2019 season with a four day camp at our favourite venue in the Midlands, Rough Close.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-II.jpg

In the end it turned out to be quite a small meet, between 5 - 7 people camped at different times and a few visitors coming along to see what it was all about.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-III.jpg

This gave our newest members, Stella and Josie, a nice relaxed introduction for their first pitching of a tent they had recently acquired.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-IV.jpg

Some might think that they needed a traditional canvas bell or ridge tent to get involved but this retro canvas frame tent fitted into the camp nicely and offers lots of possibilities for customisation. As I have said many times before, creativity is the key.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-V.jpg

Debs and I had our usual bell tent although we experimented with a different layout inside which seemed to work well. It should make it much easier to set up a mosquito net for the high summer months if needed.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-VI.jpg

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-VII.jpg

For obvious reasons, the fire rig and the associated “Utilitent”, formed the heart of the camp once again.

A place to gather, swap stories, share skills and prepare food.

After so many years living and working around living history sites of various periods, we are fortunate enough to have lots of equipment that allows us to provide this infrastructure so that others do not have to.

All we ask is that people bring a pot or pan suitable for cooking over a fire and they leave any equipment they use in the condition they find it so that someone else can use it.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-IX.jpg

The optional “Wonderland” theme lent itself perfectly to having a “Tea Party” on Saturday evening, not that we need any encouragement to indulge in good food of course, but it was a good excuse to break out the sandwiches and cup cakes.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-VIII.jpg

It was also a nice opportunity to use our new tea set made for us by Peter Swailes after I saw a lovely teapot he had made for someone else.

Inspired by the history of my family. LMS 2424 was the banking locomotive driven by my grandfather, Fred Waidson on Shap Bank working out of the 11E Engine shed at Tebay.

Working from a few photographs of the loco Peter designed made a glazed this wonderful tribute to an engine and of course a man, now long gone.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XIV.jpg

Only slightly less useful but perfectly in keeping with the theme were the Chocolate Teapot and Steampunk Easter Egg brought by Stella and Josie.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-X.jpg

Sunday found us engaging in a little bird watching. There is something remarkably hypnotic about watching a chicken slowly roast by the fire, rotated gently by a clockwork bottle jack.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XII.jpg

Steve (Mesquite) ’s practical but comfortable set up continues to grow and evolve. Traditional / retro camping equipment with a few clever and quirky twists here and there.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XX.jpg

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XIII.jpg

Stella and Josie’s frame tent afforded plenty of spare space for display and this neat shelving unit, that folds flat for packing, was perfect for the job.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-IXX.jpg

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXII.jpg

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXIII.jpg

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXI.jpg

As the day wears on, libations are prepared, the lamps are lighted and people set out their places by the fire for the evening.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXVIII.jpg

Old friends come together and new friendships are so often formed in the cheery warmth of that fire glow.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXV.jpg

As the gloaming settles, in many ways, I think the evening is the most magical time when out camping. It is when the true camaraderie of the camp fire is felt at it’s best.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXVI.jpg

We could not have hoped for better weather once more. Although the nights were chilly, the days rose to almost high summer temperatures and not a drop of rain on the canvas, which is always welcome bonus.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---Easter-Tea-Party-XXVII.jpg

Although we took a chance organising a camp so early in the year, it seems that fortune sometimes favours the bold.

The-Steam-Tent-Co-operative---No-Complaints.jpg

We must be doing something right because once again the seemed to be no complaints.

Plans are now afoot for the Goldrush Camp on the late May Bank Holiday weekend.

We hope we will meet you when you stake your claim up the Klondike.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Wonderful.

I've been looking at the last picture in the first post. The port holder. It looks to me like the handle should be turned to pivot the bottle to pour the drink - does it actually work like that?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Certainly works for us.

We try to always run 4 day weekends to help out people travelling long distances. We come from Manchester ourselves so understand the problem.

Coventry seems like the best location for people travelling from different parts of the country but we appreciate Scotland would be that little bit further.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE