Mors' try-stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Thanks John,

there's a bit at the bottom end which I can't quite make out. What is it?
according to my mag (bushcraft summer issue 2) the notch at the bottom of the picture is a "mitered lapped notch" used for figure 4 deadfall trap

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I fancy trying my hand at that... I used to do similar things as a boy - one of my favourites still is putting a diamond knurl on a walking stick handle.

Could anyone post a sketch of what shapes are good to practice, or photos of finished efforts?

Cheers.

Dom.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
what you can do, to improve contrast without bark on the stick....

make your try stick and then hold it over the smoke of a fire, keep rubbing in the soot till you get a sort of shiney look. then take a slight skim off of the inside of the cuts. that way you get (nearly) white cuts in a black stick.v cool indeed.

cheers, and.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
knife1.jpg

This was the go I had at one, the diameter was about an inch, I tried as many of the cuts as I could comfortably. I'll have to give it a go again....

Aloha John,

That's a nice bit of carving there. Would you be so kind as to post a picture of the whole stick? I'd like to give it a go and use what you have done as a guide to what mine should look like.

Mahalo!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
topofstick.jpg

bottomofstick.jpg

Here you are, Its not a great pic. the ones from the bottom are a triangular wedge (I beleive its a shape for setting logs together), then a square hole through a flattened section. Then a squared off section.
IIRC the original idea was knife skills, and to demonstrate useful cuts and shapes in sticks for campcraft, pioneering and logbuilding.
I dont have the article easily to hand, but I wonder if it could be put in as an article, seeing as I think it was a BCUK mag? Maybe the mods would know..

JOhnC

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
crkttrystick.jpg

Well i found out that heres a trystick related thread so id like to post my version of it too.
Not the most prettiest finishing butstill.
I did it with factory stock,CRKT RSK MK5.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I found this thread quite annoying as nobody has said what magazine you are talking about, what the plans look like & it was only until I could see a picture (the 1st one had a broken link) that I knew what you were all talking about. Perhaps it would be better to give a bit more detail in the opening post for things like this, as a lot of readers will probably be in the same position as me, wondering what was being talked about..

I can see what you mean about the skill level required, as some of those notches are amazing & i would find then quite hard to do on a workbench. This seems be be several levels up from carving a spoon, which is a daunting enough task for newbies. Time I got myself a spoon knife & got started on this wood carving stuff.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I found this thread quite annoying as nobody has said what magazine you are talking about, what the plans look like & it was only until I could see a picture (the 1st one had a broken link) that I knew what you were all talking about. Perhaps it would be better to give a bit more detail in the opening post for things like this, as a lot of readers will probably be in the same position as me, wondering what was being talked about..

I can see what you mean about the skill level required, as some of those notches are amazing & i would find then quite hard to do on a workbench. This seems be be several levels up from carving a spoon, which is a daunting enough task for newbies. Time I got myself a spoon knife & got started on this wood carving stuff.

Hey i didnt know even that there is some magazine article excisting either but then again ive seen these sticks on book and in youtube,i think and i thought id do one again to show it here as well,What do u talk about workbench?Something,to tighten your stick in to for doing the sticks notches etc?
ive thought that the right way is to hold the stick in your hand and then just work on it,caus eout there in the woods you sure wont have any clamps and workbenches along...atleast i hope so:lmao:

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
crkttrystick.jpg

Well i found out that heres a trystick related thread so id like to post my version of it too.
Not the most prettiest finishing butstill.
I did it with factory stock,CRKT RSK MK5.

Now that is just showing off! goodjob

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
Think im getin a bit of chesnut when i walk th mutt today, and then make a mess in the front room for the missus.
Nice efforts by those brave enough to post, well done

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE