More dehydrated delights

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Well I have had quite a bit of feedback, here and from friends/family, about my new dehydrator so thought I would share some more of my experiments.

This time I thought I would try fruit, all locally sourced from either local allotments or the market.

I tried mango (my favourite), strawberry, banana, raspberry and cherry!

The mango and strawberry went down a storm, swmbo loved the banana, the raspberrys were ok but the cherries were a bit sticky even after 14 hours drying.

1f5d441c-7452-c422.jpg

1f5d441c-7469-2a62.jpg

1f5d441c-7476-a84c.jpg

1f5d441c-748b-7eef.jpg

1f5d441c-749f-4d2f.jpg

Also did some onion which work well in stews and can be ground to a fine powder for use as a flavouring!

1f5d441c-74e0-8b2e.jpg

Hope you like them.

Cheers, Hamster

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So now you need a blog

"will it dehydrate?"

:D

Thanks for sharing. Pineapple may a good one to try if the mango worked well. Would you dare try some shell fish - scallops maybe?

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
So now you need a blog

"will it dehydrate?"

Thanks for sharing. Pineapple may a good one to try if the mango worked well. Would you dare try some shell fish - scallops maybe?

I can see a will it dehydrate thread coming on, especially if i get some spare time "hmm what can i do today" anytime soon.

Not sure about shellfish but am considering some sort of dried fish in the near future, would have to be something non-oily so maybe a nice bit of cod fillet to start with or fome pollock.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
+ 1 on a dehydration thead!!!!!
Great work there Hamster!!!
I gonna get myslf a drier this week I reckon!!
Did delivery take long from Westfalia??

Cheers
Steve

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
+ 1 on a dehydration thead!!!!!
Great work there Hamster!!!
I gonna get myslf a drier this week I reckon!!
Did delivery take long from Westfalia??

Cheers
Steve

About 6 days from the date i ordered, they sent me an email the day i ordered stating it would be up to 10 working days then another a few days later stating it had been dispatched and would take up to 10 working days which worried me a little but i ordered on a saturday and it arrived the following friday so actually slightly before i expected it.

Perrari, i ummed and erred for a while and glad i bit the bullet and got one, SWMBO is not so sure as i was in the kitchen all weekend!

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Not sure about shellfish but am considering some sort of dried fish in the near future, would have to be something non-oily so maybe a nice bit of cod fillet to start with or fome pollock.

A favourite pot-noodle type snack that I buy from the chinese supermarket has crabstick and cuttlefish in it. I tried dehydrating crabstick slices in the oven and wasn't sure If I'd let them rehydrate for long enough, they seemed a bit chewy.

Please try them in your dehydrator for me;)

cheers:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So now you need a blog

"will it dehydrate?"

NO, not in a home dryer, please no. No shell fish please, potentially very very dangerous.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Pineapple is unbeatable!
I becomes a toffee-like pinaple taste explosion that is totally addictive - by far my favourite dehy fruit!
Fruit leathers - basically dehy smothies - are delicious too - banana and strawb is my favourite while damson and apple is pretty close. Dried apple rings are good and dried wild strawbwries are intensly flavoursome :)
Just off to raid the store box now....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE