Moot NC Jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Oh boy, I'm just taste testing the jerky having pulled it out of the dehydrator at 5am. This lot is gooood! It ain't allowed out of the NC.

I've been up all night cooking and also tweaking the setup of my two new hammocks. Up through the night, getting used to the Moot schedule already see!

I'm going to have to go out later today and source some more suitable meat and marinade. No Sqerky unfortunately, I haven't got time to go shooting and dissect squirrels.

So far I have done Spicy BBQ, Al Fresco BBQ and Herbs, Sweet Teriyaki and Natural Hickory.

I seem to remember someone saying they wanted Nando's Piri Piri.

I won't be doing Marmite or Bovril you'll be glad to hear!! I suspect the Spicy BBQ is going to be popular so I will do some more of that. I'll grab some Lea and Perrins too.

I'm just about to put a load of smoked bacon in to dehydrate. Now that makes real crispy bacon when dropped in a frying pan.

I may also experiment with some dehydrated chilli mince and smoked ham.

Anyone want me to do some chewy banana chips? They are much nicer than the crispy rubbish you get generally.

Phil (Chef)

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Yep, I was thinking of offering a piece to whomever did the washing up from the NC kitchen each day. I think I might choose to do the washing up!!!! :D

I just had some Teriyaki Jerky for breakfast! That isn't a problem, it is just that it doesn't really go with fried bread and a poached egg, lol.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Chewy banana chips? Hmmm sounds deeelish!!!

Looking forward to sampling your wares too. Will you be selling any of this for later consumption? (assuming if I can keep Mesquite's hands off my stash)

I'll see how much I can get made.

I'll make you some Marmite flavoured, Mesquite won't touch that with a barge pole I shouldn't think, neither will anyone else! :eek:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
I take it all. Thank you.
cheers the interceptor boy.
I have upgrade myself from wash boy to chef. you do the washing.i do the cooking. fed up with serving everybody at the last moot. but it was fun.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I take it all. Thank you.
cheers the interceptor boy.
I have upgrade myself from wash boy to chef. you do the washing.i do the cooking. fed up with serving everybody at the last moot. but it was fun.

How can anyone be fed up of serving their fellow man, it is a privilege if done voluntarily. I'll bring you some dish clothes and a bowl! A piece if jerky is minimum wage!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have acquired more beef and bacon. There will be loads of partially dehydrated smoky bacon for those that like crispy bacon in seconds, not swimming in water. What a good use of a pig!

I will be doing the Piri Piri tonight and I just can't resist doing a little Marmite!

Phil (Chef)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
ooooh, jerky! My 'local' shop (hour return journey) does excellent smoked chili jerky, but it's a) blooming expensive (£8 100g?) and b) blooming far away (2hr return trip)

Maybe I'll pop down to borough market where I can get it without the 2hr return journey but at similar prices.

Dehydrated bacon..??? That sounds like a very good idea. I assume one just sticks it in the dehydrator? How long for? Mine isn't out of the packaging yet

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
ooooh, jerky! My 'local' shop (hour return journey) does excellent smoked chili jerky, but it's a) blooming expensive (£8 100g?) and b) blooming far away (2hr return trip)

Maybe I'll pop down to borough market where I can get it without the 2hr return journey but at similar prices.

Dehydrated bacon..??? That sounds like a very good idea. I assume one just sticks it in the dehydrator? How long for? Mine isn't out of the packaging yet

You need to get a happy medium with the bacon. If you take it too far then it will go translucent and hard. This burns real quick when you try and fry it and is VERY salty. Would store a good while though.

The stuff I just did I dried for 2-3 hours I think. It is more like what you would carve off the bacon joint hanging in ye olde butcher's window. It is dry to the touch but still maintains some flexibility and water content. Basically you are removing the water they added from when it was dry cured, to make it weigh more! It will tend to lift when fried so I use a good amount of oil to get it to cook well and evenly because it cooks in 60 seconds flat without swimming in any slimy water.

'm guessing it keeps well without 'bug' issues if you need to have it out and about with no refrigeration. When fried it results in excellent quick crispy bacon without the phaff and mess.

Phil (Chef)

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
5u2e6y2e.jpg
Chilli beef, lamb and courgette (for the mrs) all in the dehydrator. We shall see what I have in a few hours :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Smell is definitely attracting the flies - just walked in and found about 30 of the buggers buzzing round the kitchen! Fortunately the dehydrator is "sealed" and they couldn't get in. Cats food is probably best thrown though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE