Monocular from binos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've acquired a pair of Zenith 10 x 50's with 5 degree field, in very good nick, Japanese optics: But they're sh1te with glasses on, and don't have any rubber cups.............they're unusable for me in the field, so I'd like to seperate them and get a monocular to use................anybody done this with binos, or know how to go about it? Any info gratefully received.

I'm mainly concerned with how you would focus the one half - also whether I'd likely cause damage to the optics by cutting off lugs and extraneous bits?........atb mac

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I tried it many years ago, certainly over 20 years. I just took a hack saw to the parts that connected the two parts together. Worked OK for me, just a bit awkward try to do any rapid focussing but good for using at a set distance.

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
The yacht club I belonged to years back had 'half' of a Japanese set of ships binoculars.............nearby yacht club had the other half. Front optics were 180mm, and the length was about 60cm. You could read newsprint five miles off. They were made by Pentax during WWII.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE