Pocket Binocular Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Hi folks.
Nobody who knows me has seen me without some binocs. There. It's out there now. I like my binos!
I've just got hold of a pair of the new 8x25 CL Swarovski, and thought it might be useful to do a comparison with a few similar bins from other makers.
First up, if you want specs, numbers and prices, the interweb is your friend. I'm going to focus ( oh dear...) on optical and mechanical.
Here's the starting grid;
jagyha2a.jpg

e8yvyma6.jpg

Some tiny Nikon Mikron 5x15, Olympus cheap 8x21, and some alphas, namely Nikon 8x20 high grade, Swarovski 8x25 CL, and Leica 10x25 Ultravids.

Size.
The obvious point here is the larger barrel size of the CL. This can be good or bad, i like the much larger eyepiece, and the near midsize bino eye cups.
All the twin hinge binos have twist up cups. All nice too.

Weight.
Swaros are deffo half way to a midsize in weight but don't let that put you off. There is no flimsy feel to any of these, even the Olympus.
The weakest looking of the bunch is the Leica, although this is only an impression. They're strong!

Focus and diopter adjustment.
Both the small Nikon Mikrons and the Olympus use moving of the right EP in relation to the left. Standard stuff.
The Ultravid has a button under the bridge that you press to dissengage the fucusing. Very poor design for me as I have to re-learn a grip to avoid pressing this with my thumb.
8e5use6u.jpg

Swaro and Nikon HG, top marks, simple, easy to use, set and forget solution. 1 point off for Leica then.
All focus with ease. Some backlash on the Olympus, not major.
Superb from all others. I thought the Swaros would suffer from narrow depth of field given the wider aperture:mag ratio. Not the case. Superb in fact.
No eye caps are supplied with the Swaros. My solution for this glaring error is some caps from Op-Tech. Not made now I think...
On checking these are marked as Bushwackers so may still be about.
qe8etysy.jpg

Leica supply superb food guards, and I've put the same on the HGs.
1 point back to Leica.
yhuqedar.jpg

Chromatic abberation (C A)
Results are predictable here. All the alphas showed their class.
I used an old tree in the garden against a bright sky.
2uma7e3u.jpg

The surprise was the Olympus (£40) which did very well but failed to show detail on the silhouetted branch like the alphas (all).
It's all down to light loss and coatings (read £££!)
Swarovision and Ultravids showing class technology here. Nikon HGs right up there too
The 5x15 Nikons were good but ordinary in such company.
nusamuze.jpg

Clarity.
Alphas again showed their class with near identical central clarity and flawless edge to edge. If I had to choose one, after days, it might just be the edge clarity on the Ultravids but I suspect that is a feeling only and because they're a 10x bin.
A draw really.
The Olympus and Mikrons were soft toward the edge.

Eye relief.
I wear glasses. In preference order.
Swaro. Swaro, then Swaro
17mm of ER on the CLs is beautiful in a compact. Leica and Nikon take note (13-15mm, barely enough!).
The Mikrons were poor in this respect, but they're a fun toy with nice central clarity.
Field of view is very similar in the alphas, 50-55 degree (aFOV).

Standard supplied bits.
Nice cordura case with both the CL and Leicas. Leather, not particularly good case with the Nikons.
The Swaros come with a cleaning cloth and a wipe.
All have strong and adequate adjustable straps.
anaqe2ug.jpg

Conclusions.
They all do the same thing. The Mikrons are just so Bond. Love them for that. The Olympus are my vans binos. No real value, but do a fair job. Another keeper then.
I have to say the Swarovskis are my pick of this bunch. They have a deceptive folded size and if you have big hands like me, lend themselves to an asymetrical way of opening which improves grip and handling. Kids and girly types don't worry, the others are fine for you ( I take xxl gloves).
e8ymemem.jpg

The eyecups are nicer on the CL, easier to centre, and have a larger exit pupil (3mm plays 2.5mm on Nikon HG and UV).
Just a view down our beck, way after sunset to show the decent dusk performance...
uhy4etyd.jpg

I love the finish on the Leicas. The Nikons less so. No reason, just taste.
In closing, the Swaro CLs feel bigger than they are. They have a small advantage at dusk, and fill that missing link in my bino line up, an Alpha 8x25 that really can run with a midsize!!!
But with a distinct size advantage!!!
atuhagen.jpg

A keeper!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tappy thingy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE