Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Andy - thanks for taking the time and trouble to provide the links - I see now what is being said, when I am next at a meet I will need to ask about this lot to help ensure I understand it The more I look into this the more questions I have so best leave it for now until I can talk to someone.

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I've just snaffled a half empty tin of boiled sweets from the dresser draw, not much bigger than a shoe polish tin so it should work. We're off to Morrisons in a bit so I'll try and grab one of those tea strainers.

Looking forward to giving this one a try, cheers for the heads up Mark.

Now a shoe polish tin is a good idea. The one in the cupboard has a little doohickey to help get the lid off. Maybe that would be good to get over the vacuum issue.

I've had one of those Vaseline tins knocking around for a while, now I've got a use for it.

when i was messing with meths burners a few years back i found that just pouring the meths in the cooker base was as good as any of the stoves i made or a trangia burner that fits in (you do need to raise the cup tho).

however if the crusader cooker was binned and an simple coke can presssurised burner was used with a simple wire stand for the cup it was much much better and more efficent as the cursader cooker is a massive bit of metal that slows the pre heating of the meths i was using 30ml of meths a fill which got a good boil up (kids where on SMA baby milk so i had plenty of 10ml powder spoons ;) )

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have made a couple similar using an altoids tin stuffed with fiberglass,

(Once I find a suitable tin - which seems to be the most difficult part abouit making the stove - I realise I can experiment but ...)

Given that the commercial equivalent - carbon felt - looks to be a pretty compressed material, does that mean the fibre glass is well squeezed into the tin? I have also seen perlite loft insulation - the small white beads of polystyrene(?) suggested instead of fibre glass and I guess this is NOT compressed.

By the way - not sure I understand the physics/balance of advantage of this because the more material you put in the less room there is for the fuel, so won't it need refilling more often?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
(Once I find a suitable tin - which seems to be the most difficult part abouit making the stove - I realise I can experiment but ...)

Given that the commercial equivalent - carbon felt - looks to be a pretty compressed material, does that mean the fibre glass is well squeezed into the tin? I have also seen perlite loft insulation - the small white beads of polystyrene(?) suggested instead of fibre glass and I guess this is NOT compressed.

By the way - not sure I understand the physics/balance of advantage of this because the more material you put in the less room there is for the fuel, so won't it need refilling more often?

A very good point, and one I've wondered about! However, it would appear that using a wick - which is what these "fillers" are, tend to make a more efficient burn, so longer time for less fuel. now all we need is for someone to tell us why!! One benefit is that these wicks tend to hold the fuel in place, stopping (or reducing) it becoming a safety issue if the burner gets knocked over.

the wick helps the fuel evporate faster and with less heat so burns quicker and hotter (offers more surface area)

try the tin with and without wick see how long a fixed measure of fuel lasts and how quick it boils a mug of water thn try the same thing without the crusader cooker

ATB

Duncan

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
A very good point, and one I've wondered about! However, it would appear that using a wick - which is what these "fillers" are, tend to make a more efficient burn, so longer time for less fuel. now all we need is for someone to tell us why!! One benefit is that these wicks tend to hold the fuel in place, stopping (or reducing) it becoming a safety issue if the burner gets knocked over.

Glad it wasn't just me!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
thanks for all the comments chaps, the inspiration, as i stated in the opening post has to go to Monkey Boy though, twas his idea not mine, i just 'borrowed it':)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
One benefit is that these wicks tend to hold the fuel in place, stopping (or reducing) it becoming a safety issue if the burner gets knocked over.

Exactly, and another reason i dont like putting meths directly in the burner tray on the Crusader cooker, the fibre glass doesnt stop it spilling, but it does drastically reduce the amount that's spilled if it gets knocked over as, and as you say, the "wick" tends to hold the fuel back a bit.

Id hate to think of the consequences of a Crusader tray of lit meths getting knocked over up the woods or over the downs.

Exactly, and another reason i dont like putting meths directly in the burner tray on the Crusader cooker, the fibre glass doesnt stop it spilling, but it does drastically reduce the amount that's spilled if it gets knocked over as, and as you say, the "wick" tends to hold the fuel back a bit.

Id hate to think of the consequences of a Crusader tray of lit meths getting knocked over up the woods or over the downs.
lol 30ml of meths followed by 500ml of water i assume you dont wander off leaving it burning on a rickaty base in a high wind jsut above a pile of tinder with th meths fuel bottle nessled in it

ATB
D
uncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE