Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I saw this idea back in October at one of the BCUK Sussex meets, Monkey Boy showed me the burner, hence the title of this post, like many i think he wanted a better more economical way to use the Crusader Burner unit than using Green Heat or Hexi blocks.

DSCN1662.jpg

The idea is incredibly simple and i really don't know why i never thought of it myself, now I've made no secret over the years about how carp the Crusader Cooker unit is and this fact is even backed up by the guy who designed it i believe?, but when I'm out and about and don't want to take a Trangia, Hobo stove or even have a small fire, i do use my Crusader Cooker unit, after all I'm not cooking anything on it, I'm just warming up some water that I've bought from home for a cup of tea or coffee, but in the colder months stuff like Green Heat just doesn't cut the mustard, i know some of the stove guys will say it never cuts the mustard, that's their choice, but i choose to use it.

DSCN1664.jpg

This little burner unit though is so simple and so effective it's unreal and best of all, it's made from junk, the burner as you will see from the picture is a small Vaseline Lip Balm tin, which is filled with glass fibre loft insulation which in turn is kept in place by the wire mesh from a cheapo tea strainer, the whole thing weighs less than a gnats privates and sits in the burner tray of the Crusader cooker a treat, which coincidentally is where it lives when stored as well, as it's low enough to not interfere with the bottom of the metal mug when it's all packed away.

DSCN1669.jpg

I cant store meths/alcohol in the burner though as the tin was prone to forming a vacuum, so i had to pierce a small hole in the lid in order to get it off, I've noticed the newer tins have a better design, so the hole is not necessary.

DSCN1675.jpg

In use i filled the burner with meths so it was just starting to pool on the surface of the fibreglass, lit it and then put the mug, containing 500ml of cold water on the unit and put the lid on and in not too long a time the water was at a rolling boil, with fuel left in the burner.

DSCN1684.jpg

I don't know how long it took to boil, as i don't work by the clock when I'm cooking or warming things up when I'm out and about, I've always worked to the ethos of "it's done when it's done", after all whats the rush, you are out there to enjoy yourself, there are just too many variables to consider when cooking outdoors, so i don't bother considering them.

DSCN1690.jpg

So thanks to Monkey Boy for sharing the idea with me, personally i think it's brilliant

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Interesting, how does it burn compared to just the empty tin with meths in?

no idea im afraid:(, never actually thought to try it, i have filled the Hexi Tray in the cooker unit with meths before though and it burnt out very quickly

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I suppose it controls the evaporation of the meths through heat alone and less prone to spillage than an open tin. Nice idea, thanks

Do you think a tin filled with meths and then the lid put back on would work (but a circle of jets/holes on the lid) ?

Also i want to make on of these, what the stuff inside the tin called?

Thx

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you think a tin filled with meths and then the lid put back on would work (but a circle of jets/holes on the lid) ?

You'd have to secure the lid as the pressure will pop it straight off, a screw lid will work or some JBWeld on a conventional push lid, you'd have to fill through one of the holes though.

Also i want to make on of these, what the stuff inside the tin called?

Thx

It's glass fibre loft insulation

You'd have to secure the lid as the pressure will pop it straight off, a screw lid will work or some JBWeld on a conventional push lid, you'd have to fill through one of the holes though.

It's glass fibre loft insulation

Would anything else work like cotton/wool/fibreglass work?

Thanks again my friend :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Would anything else work like cotton/wool/fibreglass work?

Thanks again my friend :)

Fibreglass wick works well, cotton and wool would just burn up after the first go though. I've tried the stuff out of our loft which seemed to work okay, it stunk a bit though.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, not my idea though, that accolade has to go to Monkey Boy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just snaffled a half empty tin of boiled sweets from the dresser draw, not much bigger than a shoe polish tin so it should work. We're off to Morrisons in a bit so I'll try and grab one of those tea strainers.

Looking forward to giving this one a try, cheers for the heads up Mark.

Fibreglass wick works well, cotton and wool would just burn up after the first go though. I've tried the stuff out of our loft which seemed to work okay, it stunk a bit though.

My loft has been converted so i dont think theres any available! Would rockwool work by any chance?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've just snaffled a half empty tin of boiled sweets from the dresser draw, not much bigger than a shoe polish tin so it should work. We're off to Morrisons in a bit so I'll try and grab one of those tea strainers.

Looking forward to giving this one a try, cheers for the heads up Mark.

No prob Rich, im just in the process of making a bigger version from old shoe polish tin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My loft has been converted so i dont think theres any available! Would rockwool work by any chance?

Yeah I reckon, try a bit with some meths on. That stuff is fire proof isn't it? If it holds on to the fuel it should burn okay.

Let us know

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Give it try, as long as it's not combustable material in the can it should work fine

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE