Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
lol 30ml of meths followed by 500ml of water i assume you dont wander off leaving it burning on a rickaty base in a high wind jsut above a pile of tinder with th meths fuel bottle nessled in it

ATB
D
uncan

no, because that would just be plain silly wouldnt it?

Last edited:

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
here ya go
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Good jobs there folks!

Just a thought - if you punched a few holes in a duplicate lid, could you then use it as a "simmer cap" to reduce temp/increase burning time? (and further reduce risk of spillage if knocked over....)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
lol 30ml of meths followed by 500ml of water i assume you dont wander off leaving it burning on a rickaty base in a high wind jsut above a pile of tinder with th meths fuel bottle nessled in it

ATB
D
uncan

Hands up who amongst us has never knocked a pot off a stove either at home or in the field, or knocked a camping stove over at some time in their life?! Certainly not me....

It happens. Having a stove that doesn't spray burning fuel around willy-nilly seems like a good thing to me:)

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Vasaline tin boiled 500ml water in 5min 27 sec s and 1 once of fuel lasted 10 min 48 secs.

nice one, you will find that time will become greater the more you use it, iv been using mine for arround 18months now and it burn for arround 17mins on 1 once ;) I havent timed the exact no: just check my watch befor and after the last time I used it. at the end of the day its better than that gel stuff, which sometimes you need 2packs for 1 brew, its messy and you could be there all day for a rolling boil. As kepis said not bad for something made from junk.

you could put wholes in the lid and ad feed lines, but why bother its designed to replace the gel for the crusader kit and work better.

have fun

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've used bare meths in the Crusader base before now and it wasn't too effective. Had a hot cup of tea eventually but it didn't get to boil properly and it took quite a while (I used a lid on my mug and everything!). I've only used the Kiwi tin once, quite a while ago now, but I do recall that it seemed to last a good long time. I didn't time either experiment but I'm good at making stuff up. It may be time for repeat experiments!

As far as the fastening lid and pressurising goes, I think that I'll leave that someone smarter (and braver) than me.

Claudiasboris

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
My order from Tinny arrived today so I can try some carbon wick stoves. I ordered the carbon felt wind shield as it gives you the most material per buck and some micro nipples and silicone tube. Not bad for $25 delivered (£16).

The felt is not what I expected, it is just like a soft fabric felt like you would make clothes from and I was expecting a more abrasive or rough type material more akin to wire wool for some reason! For $10 you get a bit 18 by 4 inches and I suppose enough for many stoves?

Steve.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just got this thread from another one and annoyed I missed it originally. There are quite a few pages and I haven't got time right now to read everything so please bear with me if any of my questions have been answered.

I work for an insulation company in the power sector and typically glass fibre starts to melt a little over 650C. Anyone know what they burn temp of meths is? I know a lighter or match is too high for glass fibre. BTW its usually E-glass (electrical glass) and the resin binder used in loft insulation, rockwool (except certain makes and types of mineral wool) typically starts to burn off 200-300C so you will initially get the fumes. Also some loft insulation has that nice fishy smell until the binder burns off.

I was only wondering about the burn temp of the rockwool or glass wool loft insulation because i had thought of using some from work but thought I'd need to use the 900C rated silica fibre. I also wondered what the wick on my solo stove from Tinny at MBD was. If meths burns sub 650C then it makes sense that is what Tinny used on this one.

It has probably been said before but if you JB welded the lid on and burnt through the holes you'd probably be best with burn holes round the edges and forming a depression in the centre with say 3 small holes to fill it. I reckon that might make an efficient stove.

I really like the idea of this stove. I don't have a crusader system but tempted to get one. Anyone know a good source?? Preferably in the North LAncs / CUmbrian area so I can see one first. How heavy?? I wonder if the same stove could be used in some lighter weigh system, perhaps a cone or something else. Can't see why not. Perhaps a honey in 4 sided mode. I've been looking for a small burner for that. Thanks Kepis and Monkeyman.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not sure of the temperature Paul but I know from experience those coil stoves will melt aluminium!

Yes you can make a stove by putting holes around the edge. I have done this with many .177 pellet tins which are sort of like the tins used on this thread and never found I needed to JB weld the lid to base. Just take lid off to fuel, replace and prime wick and light. You can get very good boil times but at the expense of the stove being a little more fuel hungry. My best 500 ml boil to date with one of these tin stoves is 3.5 minutes with 30 ml/1 oz of fuel. An efficient wick stove will boil the same amount in double the time but use half the fuel.

Steve.

Last edited:

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
I can feel a snuff tin conversion coming on :D guess I need a crusaders kit first though...

I found a snuff tin on sunday and turned it into one of these little stoves, but used some square mesh wire to hold the fibre glass in place. As it was all I had kicking around. so nice little stove for nowt. If it works...
If not I can always cut up the tea strainer :)

100_0949.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE