Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That a good Idea monkeyboy, and a great execution Kepis ^^, btw stumbled over your home made Shaving horse video on youtube the other day, thanks for that one ^^. Looks like this is something I will give some consideration, but I think I still like a wood fueled fire better I dont know purely esthetic's I think.
Great piece though guys thanks for posting
yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thats a very nice version to hiho, love the look of that old snuff container,
And who guards the guardian, a good question used to be my motto for a long time ^^ how funny to see someone else use it for a change.
Yours sincerely Ruud

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
This is a pretty clever setup to - all credit to SPORK form BCUSA

altoids_stove01.jpg

altoids_stove02.jpg

altoids_stove03.jpg

altoids_stove04.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Were you stuck in the snow yeaterday Mr Badger? Looks like hot brews and food were taken care of :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I tried making the monkey boy stove, but the roof insulation melted into a pea sized blob: I need to do more research. The hardest part was finding a tea strainer in the pound shop. Since tea bags became popular there doesn't seem much call for them. All the ones I found were plastic. I like the simplicity of the monkey boy, but prefer the beer can stove.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Oldtimer - try using fibre-glass rope (the sort used to seal the doors on wood burning domestic stoves) instead of the roof insulation. Depending on the thickness, use a coil or just a thick strand in the tin. No need of wire mesh as no escaping fibres. Works well for me.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I knocked this one up today after seeing this thread, my first wick stove of this style (made plenty of red bull and cat stoves thus far)

DSCN0935.jpg

Made from an Aldi tin of Homer Simpson sweets...."Mmmmmmmmnnn....Aldi sweeeeeeets...."

Steel tin, weighs 34g as a stove.

DSCN0937.jpg

The gauze is stainless steel insect mesh, pre-coloured from a previous life as a mesh hobo stove.
The tin lid is a nice push fit with a click. It sits on the bottom to insulate the burner from the ground and also levels it. The tin lid makes a good snuffer.

DSCN0938.jpg

I formed the shape by pushing the mesh over the tin with my fingers-very easy and quick. It pushed in easily and stays put, it actually hard to get out.
Its fibreglass stove pipe insulation that I cut away from the foil backing, rolled it up and fitted it inside the tin.
DSCN0939.jpg

Its not got much poke-took 8 mins to boil 0.5l , only used 14g to do it. 28g of meths burnt for 15 mins. This would be a good all rounder alcy stove for cooking pasta and boiling water.

Not too fierce to cook with, powerful enough to boil water.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
If you can not find a tea strainer what I used was a 12" or so round frying pan 'splash guard' for a £1 at the local tat shop:

splash guard.jpg

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
@neumo thats what i use aswell easy to cut to size.

@ teepee i love ur burner mate mainly because homer is on it , gonna need to find a simpson tin now :)

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Wicked ideas, all of the various types, I'll definately be having a go at one of these. :D

How much is a litre of Meths nowdays on average? Just trying to work out how many burns per bottle per £ kinda thingy?

Si

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wicked ideas, all of the various types, I'll definately be having a go at one of these. :D

How much is a litre of Meths nowdays on average? Just trying to work out how many burns per bottle per £ kinda thingy?

Si

Its not cheap. If you shop around, you can get a litre for £3. 5l containers can be had for £12-16.

You can bank on using around an ounce(very rough estimate, depends on efficiency of stove)) per pint boiled, 2-3 ounces for meals that need simmering. ie pasta, rice

33 odd ounces per liter gives 15 litres boiled, costing around 20p per liter boiled and 40-60p per meal. Getting/making an efficient stove is the key. Some of the american designs will use only 1/2 Oz/pint.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Thanks for the speedy reply Pete, only ever bought the stuff once and that was to do some French polishing years ago. :D

Seems a very reasonable way of making a brew or as you say, heating up a meal, especially considering the weight advantages too. I reckon one of these and one of those (cheapo but apparently not too shabby), Chinese, 'multi-fuel' type stoves could cover alot of situations. ;)

Si

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE