Monkey Boy Meths Burner For The Crusader Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardww

Banned
Jan 17, 2012
Gwynedd
This looks great,
could someone please piont me to the right place to buy a complete crusader stove, water bottle the lot,whole kit.
been thinking about one for a while, after seeing this i deff want one , Also which is best, black or stainless?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

thephilbert

Apr 20, 2012
Scotland
Can i just say thanks to Monkey Boy and Kepis for this post. Found it through a link on the P2S forum and thought hell thats clever why didnt i think of that!
So the missus has lost her tea strainer and i am now cooking with meths.

Cheers

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Wicked ideas, all of the various types, I'll definately be having a go at one of these. :D

How much is a litre of Meths nowdays on average? Just trying to work out how many burns per bottle per £ kinda thingy?

Si

In summer indoor conditions I have got stoves to boil 500ml of tap water using a little less than 0.5oz/15ml of Meths. In breezy outdoor conditions or cold starting water temperatures expect the the same set up to use around twice the fuel.

I allow 1oz/30ml per 500ml boil up and adjust from there so about 33 boils from a litre of Meths.

Steve.

Jan 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Just got this thread from another one and annoyed I missed it originally. There are quite a few pages and I haven't got time right now to read everything so please bear with me if any of my questions have been answered.

I work for an insulation company in the power sector and typically glass fibre starts to melt a little over 650C. Anyone know what they burn temp of meths is? I know a lighter or match is too high for glass fibre. BTW its usually E-glass (electrical glass) and the resin binder used in loft insulation, rockwool (except certain makes and types of mineral wool) typically starts to burn off 200-300C so you will initially get the fumes. Also some loft insulation has that nice fishy smell until the binder burns off.

I was only wondering about the burn temp of the rockwool or glass wool loft insulation because i had thought of using some from work but thought I'd need to use the 900C rated silica fibre. I also wondered what the wick on my solo stove from Tinny at MBD was. If meths burns sub 650C then it makes sense that is what Tinny used on this one.

It has probably been said before but if you JB welded the lid on and burnt through the holes you'd probably be best with burn holes round the edges and forming a depression in the centre with say 3 small holes to fill it. I reckon that might make an efficient stove.

I really like the idea of this stove. I don't have a crusader system but tempted to get one. Anyone know a good source?? Preferably in the North LAncs / CUmbrian area so I can see one first. How heavy?? I wonder if the same stove could be used in some lighter weigh system, perhaps a cone or something else. Can't see why not. Perhaps a honey in 4 sided mode. I've been looking for a small burner for that. Thanks Kepis and Monkeyman.

I've been using one of these with loft insulation for a while now and it seems to be holding up pretty well. I should imagine that the vapour only ignites above the mesh of the tea strainer which also shields the insulation from most of the heat. I've burned one for about 10 minutes and then picked it up by the base so it doesn't seem like much heat is transferred to the stove itself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE