Mongolian Knife and firesteel set...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys,

The parents of a colleague at work went to Tibet and brought home 5 of these flint and Steel strikers, the center of the striker consisted of leather and formed a "pouch" that helt a piece of flint and some tinder.
The striker conisted of 2 halves of "U" shaped carbon steel and these were holding the leather of the pouch together and were fastened to each other by metal pins that were swagged ? (I don't know if this is the correct word) together.

The leather was coated with grease that smelled like horse.

Here's a scan I made of one:

Tibet-flint-and-steel-pouch-s.jpg

The good thing they didn't pay a lot for them something like $ 5 a piece and the one that my colleague took to the office produced a lot of sparks when I struck the sharp side of the included shard of flint.

:biggthump Hoodoo if you really want one, I'm sure my friend will sell his for $400 which leaves you $1000 to get a knife :eek:): I'll even include some chared coton :rolmao:

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera :pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE