mondeo vs focus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been on parkers and it looks to me that for a 5k car mondeo and focus estates cost the same! Is this for real? A 2007/8/9 mondeo estate in diesel costs the same as the focus?

Leads to the question, how more expensive to run a diesel mondeo over a diesel focus?

If not much then why go for a focus? Esp when kit in mondeos better as well as comfort and performance. Guessing ved 200 compared to 175 a year. Mpg for mondeo about 50mpg but focus? Would it get 60mpg? Im trying to justify either focus plus trailer or just mondeo for kit heavy family hols.

Any views?

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Not sure about the fuel consumption on them both but I have had both as hire cars and the mondeo is so much nicer to drive

sent from my windswept fell using Tapatalk 4

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Thats what i thought. How much is 5 or 7 years of a better driving experience worth?

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
If your looking for economy, nippy on short distances and something to get the shopping in then the Focus for the win. If you want a bit of luxury, sound proofing, space on top of all of the other things a focus can offer, then the Mondeo is for you. The diesels are also not too bad on fuel. Personally I would go for Mondeo.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mondingo all the way for me - I like full size cars - better load haulers, generally more comfortable to drive

Dec 14, 2013
Warwickshire
We bought a new Focus Titanium diesel tdci 1.6 which will be 3 years old at the end of March, it has been superb and right now is returning 53.1 MPG according to the on board computer.

I would like a larger boot for my gear, save folding down the seats.

£20 road tax.

Last edited:

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I've got a mondeo saloon of that vintage. Very very competent vehicle. Superbly stable at speed, good handling, good turn of pace (I've got the 140 version) room in the back for the nippers (the main reason I went for the Mondeo, room in the back of the Focus is hopeless) and a cavernous boot you could live in.
I can see no good reason to get a Focus unless you particularly want a smaller vehicle with no room in the back.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
For me i prefer mondeo. Our astra is getting a bit tight to get our lad into his car seat. At 1 he's getting heavy to squeeze in through the back door. I just feel the mondeo has a bigger door into the back. We'd been thinking about an mpv such as espace or galaxy because easier access into the back. One mpv seen was a kia with remote, electric rear doors that slide back.

Load capacity is better in mondeo estate over the focus estate or equivalent, but if i get a trailer for those camping trips then i get more capacity when needed but lighter car/fuel efficiency for majority of time. Perhaps even able to leave roof box behind. Then again, babies prevent the old days of travelling light.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I have a focus, and my dad has a mondeo estate. For driving and showing off the focus is better IMO. But for motorway driving or moving things about the estate will be a much better car. So depends on the purpose. But my focus did a tour of North Wales last summer and performed brilliantly even though it had a broken suspension spring lol.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Old thread I know but as someone who has put 200K+ miles on both Mondeo and Focus of the late "naughties", I can say that both perform and wear well with the Monedo obviously being larger inside and out (it's as long as a van in estate form) BUT the Mondeos brakes were shocking compared to the Focus. The Focus was/is adequate for spirited/hard driving, with the Mondy you might as well throw an anchor out and wait for that to take effect!

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Old thread I know but has someone who has put 200K+ miles on both Mondeo and Focus of the late "naughties", I can say that both perform and wear well with the Monedo obviously being larger inside and out (it's as long as a van in estate form) BUT the Mondeos brakes were shocking compared to the Focus. The Focus was/is adequate for spirited/hard driving, with the Mondy you might as well throw an anchor out and wait for that to take effect!

Good point. Ours were done in January as part if the mot. Along with the emissions it turned into an expensive one.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Was playing with the brakes on my rebodied Aston Martin today, as it happens. Never found them lacking but they do squeal unless you grind the tabs on the pads down a bit to make them a looser fit in the callipers

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE