Moments of Joy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
was walking back from work last week with my 7 year old, bluebell woods to the left of us and field then more woods to the rightstomping up the hill not really taking much notice when a young Roe deer emerged from the woods about 10-20 feet in front of me, crossed my path and bounced of across the field like she had springs on her feet! All my son had to say was: "I bet that'd taste nice!" :D

Wonderful moment...

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Saw a Kingfisher last weekend and they are rare enough for me, only ever seen three others, for it to be special. Yesterday though I had a real special- I watched my son playing in the garden and he was laughing at something or other, I "saw" his pure joy. It exploded in my brain and made me giggle out loud. That was cool.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The scent of dry, cut grass - I passed some today while walking near town, and the scent transported me back to childhood and playing in hay-barns....

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Regularly have a robin or two visit one of the bushes in the garden. Can watch them hop from branch to branch from the kitchen window.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
The look on my sons face when I took him out in the back garden and showed him the Robins nest in the Ivy with two eggs in it. He's now watching the coming and goings of the birds with great interest.

Incidently, does anyone know how long it is between laying and hatching?

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
a few weeks ago i was mooching down the woods on a forest when i saw movement about a field away, just a flash of dull red really, i carried on walking till i got a better view and confirmed it was a fox, i cut my shape by crouching and waited. obviously foraging for young she came towards me in a diagonal pattern, i was upwind so kept expecting her to scent me (not having a bath for a couple of days may have helped). she was within ten feet of me before she realised i was there (i honestly could almost have touched her) no shock at all she just looked at me with a cocked head, morecurious as to what i was doing than frightened. we held eye contact for a few seconds then she lost interest and carried on past me in no great rush. didnt even worry when i stood to move off. just goes to show how they can tell your intentions, i guarantee if i'd have had a rifle she wouldnt have come anything like as close! really made my day that did.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Getting home from a grinding day to the kids.

That moment just after it gets dark, when we pull the chairs a little forward and take the top off the third or fourth beer at the Welsh meets. They are great times.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words. This is one of those hard-to-describe moments when I found this in a backcountry canoe camp in northern Wisconsin.
boogie.gif

toilet2b.jpg

Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
What's the deal, you don't have bathrooms in Michigan? Are you guys in with us on seceeding from the union? I know the yuppers are.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The wee flashes of colour in the corner of your eye where you know what it was but you're not quite sure. Kingfishers and woodpeckers and the likes.
...and otters splashing in(they do it as well - you catch them but you don't really see them, just their aftermath but there's nothing else could have caused it).
:)

Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Downstate? I live on the St Croix north of Hwy 77. I just can't spell. Where is that bathroom? I guide kayaks in northern WI.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Downstate? I live on the St Croix north of Hwy 77. I just can't spell. Where is that bathroom? I guide kayaks in northern WI.

:lmao:

Well, I'm blanking on the names right now but it is in a series of 4 (or 5?) lakes just south of the Sylvania in Da Yoop. Right across the border. IIRC, only one of the lakes is a carry in, the rest have ramps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE