Modified Swedish Snow Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi Folks!

I´ve finished my swedish snow smock today and wanna share with you the results!
The original "nature"-color wasn´t too bad, but I wanted something different.
So the first step was to gibe it a good wash.
Then I dyed the smock in a nice brown.

After the dyeing and the next wash (to get all chemistry out) I first saw the finished color of the smock - I really was impressed.
It´s a little bit patterned (unsteady brown) which gives it a great look over all!

After a good dry over two days I decided to give it a coat of Fjällräven Greenland Wax to make it as good water repellent as possible.
I put the smock in the dryer so that the wax can get nice and even into the fibers.
I´ve done this some times before and always get a great result with this method!

The only thing I dont like at this point were the buttons - so I made some out of red deer antler today!
My girlfriend sewed all buttons on over the last hour (14pc over all) and now my smock is finished!.........I lOVE IT!!!

But have a look and tell me what you think!

cheers
Mike

The smock in the overview.....

The antler-button row on the sidepockets......

One antler button in detail......

And more buttons on the shoulder straps.....

What do you think?
Any comments are welcome......

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
looks good man, had a similar idea myself :)

if you notice anything about it when you're next out and about in it, would you let me know what its like in terms of waterproof-ness (not a word :D) and breathability?

Cheers.
Ed

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
@bushEd:
I will wear it intensive at the bushcraft meeting (23-25.April) and let you know how it perform there........

cheers Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
@diamond dave:

NO - dont have done any modify on the cloth itself........only dyed and waterproofed it and made some other buttons on.

Why do they look different?
Can you post a pic of yours?

The original 3 - kronor stamp is inside on my smock - so it should be a good one :)

cheers
Mike

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
sry folks no before - pics available!
Forgot to make some - the color was "off-white" slightly a "dirty" white........
But if you have a look around the world wide web you can find easy some pics of the original color.

I hope to get some daylight pics these days - I´m very busy at work at the moment........sry for that - but I´ll post them here as soon as I can make some.

cheers
Mike

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i just dyed one of these smocks also and it didn't take evenly, it's a mottled effect like yours, i put in the matching trousers at the same time but the turned out a lot better. i'm in the process of increasing the length of the sleeves and will fit para wooly cuffs, and a drawstring hem.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Mike, you say you made your buttons!?
I have been after some for my Swedish snow smock and can't find any!!
Any chance you could make some to sell me?
No worries if not mate.
Nice work!
My best.
Chris.
P.s, I have an old but good mink coat from a charity shop that was ripped, I am going to make a fur ruff for the hood, having seen them used to good effect on the recent BcUK
Arctic trip.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
Hi Mike

My cuffs look like this.....

SSL10976.jpg

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Hi Mike

My cuffs look like this.....

SSL10976.jpg

hiya, i think you have the other smock type, if yours buttons up from hem to neck up the front, you have i think the later smock, the over the head version is 40s-50s issue and has a funny double gusset at the neck area and only buttons a quarter of the way down. very different cuffs, your's are better shaped than the over the head design, hence why i'm modding mine.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
looks like there are 2 different types of smocks available........I wanted the "over the head" one - but the cuffs from the button lined look better (in my opinion).
But I also like mine - they close up pretty and if I dont wanna them closed - they look nearly similar to the button lined one smock!

@Chris the cat:
Sure I can make you some - tell me how much buttons you need. (please PM me)
I have to make 4 more for my smock - so I can do more and send it to you!

The buttons are fully handmade - drilled out with a (hole - saw.............dont know the english word for that) and grinded to the thickness I wanted. After that I drilled two holes in the top and break the drilling burr on the otherside.
And there you go - button finished ;)

cheers
Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE