Modified Swedish Snow Smock

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Mike - your smock looks very impressive, especially with the buttons. I got one of the overhead versions a couple of months ago and was very pleased.

The smocks are just begging to be modified and anyone who likes tinkering would have fun adding their own twist to the basic model. Like you, I've dyed mine (olive green cold water dye, which gave the same slightly creased pattern you've got) and added Greenland Wax.

Because the cuffs are bizarrely tight, I've just sewn in some paracord loops which fit the buttons but extend each cuff by a couple of cm - just enough to allow blood-supply to reach the hands.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I´m back from the bushcraft meeting :)
So I can tell you how the smock was.......

At first: we had perfect weather (so cant test the smock in the rain).

The smock had a great insulation in the cold evening and the nights - I´ve worn it over my usual clothes. the sparks which flys around from the fire dont harm the smock in any way. The small / tight cuffs were perfect in the cold - and no breeze came into the smock.
I´ve also worn the smock during collecting firewood and I went through thick bushes and some thorns but no damage on the smock!

the pockets on each side are very deeeeeeeep - and I could store there a lot stuff in *ggg*

One "problem" I found was, that I dont have good access to my knife when I wear the smock, because its very long in the back and the front (nearly half to my knees) but I found a good technique to maintain this ;) by wear an belt around the chest OUTSIDE the smock and put my knife on there.
With the belt around and the smock it looks like a bit medieval times wearing - which is really nice outdoors :D

All in all is the smock a great equipment for bushcraft use and I will wear it more often in the future........

cheers
Mike

PS: pictures will follow

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
did it feel clammy or sweaty at any stage, i.e. was it breathable?

Sorry for all the questions man, just been looking for a cheap but decent smock for a while now :D :D

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

Sorry for all the questions man, just been looking for a cheap but decent smock for a while now :D :D

i regularly wear mine with a jumper etc underneath, occasionally if working i get hot but not clammy, it really comes into its own when its windy or in the evenings imo, for the cost its excellent

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor

They breath well mate!
I have a 52" chest one that you could of had but it will swamp you!
take care JJD!
C da C.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
As said, it breath really good - and I had no problem with sweat at any time!
Dont feel clammy too.
I would say its a perfect piece of kit for cold evenings or even during the day when walking around the bush.......
You have enough space underneath to wear other layers (which is great for the cold season) - and with a T-Shirt alone and the smock it also performs great in summer!

Cheers
Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE