Swedish Smock Renovation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
After rooting through the loft I found an old Swedish smock I bought years ago. Nice light cotton canvas that will be great for a warm summer evening to keep off the bugs.

I've not called it a snow smock as it is green. I believe it is the original colour as the buttons matched (past tense - you will see why) and the military markings have not been erased. It is also an excellent size to wear over just a t-shirt. Not like the later balloon size smocks.

So, a renovation is on the cards. First job was to remove the buttons. They are going to be replaced with a set of small antler ones. Antler buttons in the UK are phenomenally expensive and not always that well made. I bought a set on Etsy from Lithuania. A well established seller...and they are superb!. Same size as the original plastic ones and each one is matched.

De-buttoned smock.

smock 1.JPG

In the course of stripping the buttons, I found the military ink stamp under the pocket flap. I hadn't spotted it before - DATED 1942 :woot: The condition of the smock is superb...for almost 80 years old!

smock 2.JPG

I'll update as I go as the renovation continues.

K

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Nice. I have one too. Replaced the buttons with homemade ones out of spalted birch. Recently had it altered to fit me better. It was very loose in places. Fits much better now.

Reactions: kawasemi

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Here you go. Found the original thread. They're still intact, after a few hot washes over the years since being added.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1446807477617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1446807477617.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 9

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Apologies for the long break in my reply. Life has taken me elsewhere recently.

The seller is AMHornLithuania on Etsy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE