MoD survival knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rubbish piccy and a simple mod ..

DSC02302.jpg

Just knocked off the guard and put some desert ironwood scales on. Actually, I put them on and they fell off the first time I used it, had to get somebody more competent to finish the job off :) Need to get a decent sheath made for it too one day.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
funny you should ask, I got mine this morning! :D

It's a beast of a knife, very thick and hefty. I used 600 grit to remove most of the black coating on mine and gave it a proper edge with some cheapo diamond sharpeners and my spydie double stuff. I can shave my arm with it now and it can chop a seasoned 4" plumb branch with relative ease. I found when sharpening it the black coating got a little scuffed and started to look naff, so a quick rub down with wet n dry 600 grit will take most of it off, and leave a badass aged look that can be cleaned up easy once it's covered in tree. The beef of the knife means it will not only take seriously harsh treatment but it can be resharpened a whole laod of times comapred to a thinner, smaller knife, meaning it'll last longer again. The handles are rough, mine is the synthetic handle material and while it is rough and ready, it is tough. I will be putting some heath shrink tubing on it though, to spare my hands from blistering due to the large fit of the scales to the the tang. (sanding them down is a possability but much easier to achieve with the wooden ones)

The blade may look to thick for any finer cutting, but it's not. It's nearly scandi ground to begin with, it'll only take a short while to remove the rough edge bevel and get it in good order. Like I said, I did it with mine and it didn't take long, and made the knife massively more capable.

The sheath is alright, tough and thick but left handed.. probably so a side arm (handgun) can be holstered on the right side.

I think it might be a tad expensive for a quite 'unrefined' knife but.. then again, it is bomb proof in the literal sense.

I've been looking for one for ages, and I'm glad I finally have one. It's a monster and likely to be used alot!

DSCF2921.jpg

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
funny you should ask, I got mine this morning! :D

It's a beast of a knife, very thick and hefty. I used 600 grit to remove most of the black coating on mine and gave it a proper edge with some cheapo diamond sharpeners and my spydie double stuff. I can shave my arm with it now and it can chop a seasoned 4" plumb branch with relative ease. I found when sharpening it the black coating got a little scuffed and started to look naff, so a quick rub down with wet n dry 600 grit will take most of it off, and leave a badass aged look that can be cleaned up easy once it's covered in tree. The beef of the knife means it will not only take seriously harsh treatment but it can be resharpened a whole laod of times comapred to a thinner, smaller knife, meaning it'll last longer again. The handles are rough, mine is the synthetic handle material and while it is rough and ready, it is tough. I will be putting some heath shrink tubing on it though, to spare my hands from blistering due to the large fit of the scales to the the tang. (sanding them down is a possability but much easier to achieve with the wooden ones)

The blade may look to thick for any finer cutting, but it's not. It's nearly scandi ground to begin with, it'll only take a short while to remove the rough edge bevel and get it in good order. Like I said, I did it with mine and it didn't take long, and made the knife massively more capable.

The sheath is alright, tough and thick but left handed.. probably so a side arm (handgun) can be holstered on the right side.

I think it might be a tad expensive for a quite 'unrefined' knife but.. then again, it is bomb proof in the literal sense.

I've been looking for one for ages, and I'm glad I finally have one. It's a monster and likely to be used alot!

DSCF2921.jpg
Wow you moved quik on that project ! Glad your enjoying it , it's got some history with my right hand pointy finger LOL , I'm happy to see this knife making a bit of a come back.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
This is the one I did. Oak scales and brass pins. The handles on the issue ones are way too big for my hands, but this one feels a lot better

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Rat

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I used mine earlier to chop up wood for my bbq, it's a pretty handy sized chopper. it won't make a feather stick quite like a mora but with some finess it does pretty well considering the fat blade!

I was going to reshape the handle, but I heard it isn't an easy job and the plastic just burrs?

I was thinking of doing this..

DSCF3179.jpg

custommodknfie.jpg

what do you chaps reckon?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got one somewhere, I got it out of a Hawk Ejection seat :D
It takes and holds a wicked edge, stands up to pretty much any abuse, and the only mod I did to it was to wrap the handle in fabric tape (that I got off an issue roll mat)
I keep it in an Arktis sheath. It used to live in my deployment bag.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE