Mobile phones (not very bushcrafty I know)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Following on from this thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30650

I was wondering what recommendations people might have for tough mobile phones. My current phone is getting a bit delicate and temperamental (I no longer trust it) and I was thinking of getting a relatively inexpensive phone that would still be tough enough to go up mountains and get chucked about a bit and last for an age. Ideally it would be compatible with some of the solar charging options out there.

Any advice gratefully received. :)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
The 5210 is excellent. Mine is still working but I upgraded it to a 5140 which is also great for outdoor use. Both are waterproof, shock resistant and if you totally wreck the exterior you can get new covers for them for around twelve quid.

I haven't used a Nokia 6210, is that the Navigator smart phone? If so it doesn't look very rugged, you could get any smart phone as they all have more or less the same features and have built in GPS with mapping.

All the ones I've looked at and our family has owned are very flimsy, are not water resistant or shock resistant and you wouldn't want to stick one in your back pocket and sit on it like I do with my 5140.

A "proper" mapping GPS is much, much better for outdoor activities than a smart phone with GPS. (I've got both so I'm talking from experience.)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The Gadget Show managed to seriously break the JCB tough phone, to the extent it wouldn't work, and the two that I have seen in phone shops have both had broken screens: the first thing to go in the Gadget Show test to destruction.

In the same test they were unable to stop the Samsung Solid from working. Even allowing for the fairly pathetic trial, it was still a disappointing show from the JCB, with its fragility supported by the broken screens on the display models I have seen.

Of course these could just be "unlucky" samples.

Graham

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Those JCB phones are from Sonim.

And everytime someone asks about phones, I see if Casio G-Zones are available in the UK, only to be sadly disappointed. :/

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 5210 is excellent. Mine is still working but I upgraded it to a 5140 which is also great for outdoor use. Both are waterproof, shock resistant and if you totally wreck the exterior you can get new covers for them for around twelve quid.

I haven't used a Nokia 6210, is that the Navigator smart phone? If so it doesn't look very rugged, you could get any smart phone as they all have more or less the same features and have built in GPS with mapping.

All the ones I've looked at and our family has owned are very flimsy, are not water resistant or shock resistant and you wouldn't want to stick one in your back pocket and sit on it like I do with my 5140.

A "proper" mapping GPS is much, much better for outdoor activities than a smart phone with GPS. (I've got both so I'm talking from experience.)

Ooooops, meant 6310, I traded one and kept one, they are good. The 5210 has the edge on toughness I guess, another great phone. I no longer take my RAZ camping, the battery life is crap, the old Nokia's go on for days

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
what a coincidence - was just talking to a mate about how my phone is forever playing up (mostly from being drop / hit / drowned), and what did he pull out? JCB tough phone. Looks quite the kit

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I just turn my phone off, put it in a simple, small, water proof, plastic (freezer) bag and store it with my FAK. If I'd ever need it outdoors (emergency or whatever) it'll be usable and I don't get bothered answering the phone while I'm enjoying nature :)
But that might not be ideal if you're working and need to be contactable without a heli, little brother is very impressed throwing his Nokia 5410 around the house. I think you'd better stay away from smartphones for outdoor use, battery life usually is horrible...

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I went for a Nokia 5500 sport, its been dropped, bashed, thrown at things, had water dripping out of it for the past year, all seems to be ok so far!! (fingers crossed)
Lou

Thanks for a wide variety of replies to this! Some very good points raised and so let me summarise with some additional information thrown in for good measure.

What do you need your phone for
If you don't need to use your phone while out and about then just stick it in either a sealable plastic bag or, for those situations where a greater degree of protection is need, a pelican case. Storing it switched off should mean that the battery is useable when you switch it on.

Durability, battery life, talk time and standy time
Of course if you are using your phone while out and about, or of you do need to use your phone in an emergency then the durability and the battery life become important factors. I'll cover this more later, but it is worth noting that battery life is tested in ideal conditions and will be dramatically shorter in cold conditions and areas where the signal is poor. Similarly, how tough the phone needs to be depends largely on where/how you will be using it. It may seem odd, but sometimes an object designed and billed as being tough can break long before an "ordinary" object. Why? The "tough" item gets abused where the "ordinary" item is taken care of. Just because something is tough or "safe" doesn't mean it should be abused. In my professional life I have seen the results of someone acting dangerously because of a mistaken belief that the safety equipement will prevent all harm.

Compatibility with solar chargers

I haven't looked into this yet ... but I would expect that any of the solar charger systems out there would be compatible with the main brands of phones. Anyone care to comment?

Emergency calls
Ihave never tried this but I know that even when the keypad on almost every phone I've ever had was locked, it was still possible to dial 999 or 112 and connect to the emergency services even when off contract. I dug out an old SE phone locked to Orange and without a SIM and started dialing 999 ... it came up with "Emergency call" (note: I didn't complete the connection!). So if all you are looking for is a last ditch backup (you've already constructed a signal fire, right?) and you are prepared to risk not having any signal foiling your plan, then carrying an old SIM free phone in a waterproof plastic bag will save you some money on monthly contracts or keeping PAYG topped up.

The contenders
There was a list of suggestions from people (thanks folks). Many of them are out of prodcution or have been superceeded by new models so I'm not going to look at them here. However I've prepared a table showing some options and how they stack up on the essentials:

Make/Model--------------Size (mm)--------------Weight (g)--------------Talk time (hr)--------------Standby time (hr)--------------Dual/Triband--------------IP54--------------Price (SIM Free)
JCB Tough Phone-------113 x 50 x 22--------------150-----------------------------4-----------------------------200-----------------------------------Tri-----------------------------Yes------------------------£190
Nokia 5140i----------------107 x 47 x 24--------------101-----------------------------2-----------------------------150-----------------------------------Tri------------------------------No-------------------------£105
Sonim XP1------------------113 x 50 x 22--------------150-----------------------------4-----------------------------200-----------------------------------Tri-----------------------------Yes------------------------£235
Samsung M110 Solid-109 x 48 x 17.9--------------95----------------------------8-------------------------------400---------------------------------Dual---------------------------Yes-----------------------£80
Nokia 5500-----------------107 x 45 x 18--------------103-----------------------------4-----------------------------270-----------------------------------Tri-----------------------------No-------------------------£135

User experience and other comments
Despite the marleting of the JCB Tough Phone and the Sonim XP1 (the JCB is a branded XP1)there are a surprising number of reports out there of the phone breaking very easily or having software/hardware problems unconnected to any physical damage. Certainly enough for me to be cautious about this phone. Certainly the higher price of the XP1 is odd .... perhaps JCBs marketing strategy is different.
Nokias are old favourites of many and are probably very reliable, but the talk time and standby time of the 5140i is disappointing. Fine as a backup but maybe not so good for those needing to use thier phones while out for any length of time. the 5500 seems tough and reliable.
The Samsung looks like a good option. Certainly the cheapest of the bunch, small and light and with great talk time and stanby (way ahead of the others), it is let down by only being Dual band rather than Tri band ... but this is ONLY an issue for those heading to places like North America, within Europe and many other regions it will be just fine.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Or you could buy a pack of Skinz for a couple of quid, those latex thingies for mobiles, it won't give shock-protection but they are waterproof. I keep my mobile in my rucksack not my pocket when I'm out, so shock-protection is not so much of an issue.

D

Deleted member 4605

I went for a Nokia 5500 sport, its been dropped, bashed, thrown at things, had water dripping out of it for the past year, all seems to be ok so far!! (fingers crossed)

I've got a Nokia 5500 and N95. The 5500 is pushing 18 months old, and I've had the N95 since Christmas.

Although the N95 is a great smartphone, and I love playing with the GPS features (especially Sports Tracker) I've found it to be no replacement for a real handheld GPS or car sat nav system, nor is the camera as good as my Canon Powershot. However the best tool is the one you've got with you, and I've found myself taking more photos and using the GPS in situations I normally wouldn't. I plan on getting an AquaPac for running/cycling with the N95 soon. The only real problem with it is with all those features, the battery doesn't last that long. I can go 48 hours between charges, but thats all.

I've kept the 5500 for rough days out and it's survived everything I've thrown at it so far. The battery lasts for a good few days, and coupled with a bluetooth GPS works as well as the N95 (although bluetooth obviously drains the battery faster).

D

Deleted member 4605

Compatibility with solar chargers
I haven't looked into this yet ... but I would expect that any of the solar charger systems out there would be compatible with the main brands of phones. Anyone care to comment?

There was a comment that a solar charger didn't work too well with a Nokia phone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE