Mobile phones (not very bushcrafty I know)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I was/am using a nokia 6500s but it's not working at the moment, after it got kind of wet (due to rain). In future i'm going to store it in a waterproof case, and use a bluetooth headset most of the time, because if that fails it's no big deal, I can still use the phone. course It may get replaced tomorrow........

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I bought a samsung B2100 recently (a new model). It's waterproof to 1m, not just splash proof. Also drop proof to some US military spec apparently. One great feature for going walkabout in the wilderness is the big battery giving 28 day standby time.

It's good using it in the p%$sing rain without worrying about keeping it dry. Oh...and it's got a LED torch.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Just a few things to think about...........

As mentioned above if you are only going to use the phone to make a call, store it safely in a plastic bag, however if you are expecting to recieve calls and therefore need your phone to hand......consider either a phone with the provision to attach a halyard or a case providing likewise........

now the overkill bit.....I take two phones with me, however I am on permanent emergency call, but can usually be assured of at least one having battery life and reception if possible! (and provided I have both I can carry out the task from my campfire:))

I suppose a lot depends on how much you really need to have access to a phone.

Smoggy.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I have the Land Rover phone by Sonim and it is very good indeed. I think people need to be a bit careful with words like 'indestructable' though as clearly if you try hard enough you can break anything and its often seen as a challenge!

But, the LR phone is tough. The Sun newspaper put it through its paces, they threw it out of a secord or third floor window in their HQ, baked it in an oven at 150 degrees, left it submerged in a pint of lager but did manage to break it after leaving a 3 tonne fork lift truck (with solid tyres) parked on it - again, it was the screen that went.

Additionally, to be branded Land Rover it had to be approved by LR themselves, this involved strapping it to a wheel of a 90 and driving it round the Solihul test centre (most of which was under water), they then put it under the draw bridge thingy, dropped the bridge on it and drove the 90 over it as well. They then finished up giving it a blast with the jet wash before removing it from the wheel (have a look at you tube - ' land rover s1 phone').

Agree with some of the comments above, the spec isnt great but it not really designed as a fashion item, it has a 2 megapixel camera that can be used under water, a GPS receiver is built in, has a flash for the camera which doubles as a torch. However, for me the spec I like the most is that it comes with a 3 year, no quibble exchange warranty and up to 1500 hours standby on the battery - It never needs charging!

I hope this is useful info.

ATB, Jon.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Anyone use one of those bluetooth gps's with their mobile or pda?

Wonder what they are like compared to the straight gps's.

Also I would be tempted to do three things :-

1. Carry a wrapped fully charged spare mobile, for emergancies.
2. Carry a spare battery for my standard mobile.
3. check the service or my provider, out in the wilds it can be weird.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My son has just got a G1 Android phone with GPS, works OK I think but it costs extra per month although Google maps are free.

I take an old Nokia when camping, great battery life, gets a signal anywhere and just works well; No camera but so what, I have a digital camera for photo's. I do take a spare charged battery with me 'just in case' but never use it and slip the phone in a zip lock bag. I think the phone cost me £20.

Seems to be a lot of unlucky people here what with the amount of phones dropped and smashed or dunked in a river, you should take better care of yourselves and your phones.

Anyone use one of those bluetooth gps's with their mobile or pda?

Wonder what they are like compared to the straight gps's.

Also I would be tempted to do three things :-

1. Carry a wrapped fully charged spare mobile, for emergancies.
2. Carry a spare battery for my standard mobile.
3. check the service or my provider, out in the wilds it can be weird.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I do periodically consider getting a "tough phone" for the outdoors, but always wind up thinking "Naa" and just putting my Nokia 6310 in a pocket.

If I'm going to be out and about for several days, then I might, like Rik, put a spare battery (doddle to change) in a plastic bag.

I've had the 6310 since it was new and an upgrade from Orange, and it seems to have a standby life of forever and can get a signal in the strangest places. I once received a text from my wife when I was standing on a frozen lake when I was on the Woodlore Arctic course north of Kiruna! God knows where the cell tower was!! That was after I dropped it in a snow drift and took 10 minutes to find it.

I've been told by very young (I'm old) salesmen in mobile shops to hang onto it as it is now a classic!! I usually wind up selling the phones that I've been given as "upgrades" (they all seem to be worse) and just keep using the 6310.:)

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Guess what!......the wifes mobile has just given up this morning.....yet all my phones, hand me downs everryone, are all still going strong......maybe the older ones are more robustly built!

smoggy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I do periodically consider getting a "tough phone" for the outdoors, but always wind up thinking "Naa" and just putting my Nokia 6310 in a pocket.

If I'm going to be out and about for several days, then I might, like Rik, put a spare battery (doddle to change) in a plastic bag.

I've had the 6310 since it was new and an upgrade from Orange, and it seems to have a standby life of forever and can get a signal in the strangest places. I once received a text from my wife when I was standing on a frozen lake when I was on the Woodlore Arctic course north of Kiruna! God knows where the cell tower was!! That was after I dropped it in a snow drift and took 10 minutes to find it.

I've been told by very young (I'm old) salesmen in mobile shops to hang onto it as it is now a classic!! I usually wind up selling the phones that I've been given as "upgrades" (they all seem to be worse) and just keep using the 6310.:)

Same phone as I use. Even at the bushmoot where there is NO SIGNAL I had no problem, in fact I was sitting on the loo and it rang, frightened the crap out of me so to speak:eek: I've got a Motorola Raz thing and the battery life is rubbish, day or maybe day and a half if I'm lucky and although its on O2 like the Nokia, its drops signals a lot.

H

He' s left the building

Mobile phones can be kept inside a mini-drybag or spare Ortlieb type map/document case (the airtight ones). Keep a bit of air inside when sealing the bag and it will be semi-inflated thus protecting the contents. I use one to keep wallet/phone/camera safe and together.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Nokia 3210 - I've been using for many many years!.. Bought mine off ebay for £8 or £9, unlocked, it's opened many a bottle top for me, endured countless abuse, has a strong design and screen contrast that is easier to see over most in sun. My favourite line for describing it when people pick it up is.. "You could kill a man with that!".. It might be a little bulkier than the norm but god its been reliable & versatile to me ;)
nokia3210.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE