MLD Monk Tarp Clone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive been looking for a simple ultralight tarp that can take a bit of origami to make a half pyramid. The MLD Monk Tarp looked very nice but i didnt like the $90 + shipping and customs charges. I had some sil nylon in a nice subdued colour lying around so decided to have a crack at sewing one.

The MLD Monk is 2.75m x 1.58. Id read in some reviews that head space was a bit tight so decided id stretch mine out a bit. This was a simple build. No need for flat felled seams as i was using the standard roll width.

The most difficult bit was making the tie out reinforcements but plenty of pins made life easy.

corner reinforcement are only hemmed down the wide side as the other two edges are burried in the seams of the tarp. Edge reinforcements need hemming down the two sides that will be on show with the third again getting burried.

Once id made the reinforcements it was a fairly quick job to whiz round the perimiter and drop them in

So that was all the sewing completed apart from attachments. I decided to go with grosgain loops and lineloc 3s as i love the way they self tension. simple bartacs were prefered

Finished it about 30 mins ago and borrowed my neighbours garden for a test pitch (i have no grass)

final dimensions are 3.05m x 1.62m. Its plenty deep enough to get right out of the weather. Final weight is 266g so it should prove useful for longer trips where im carrying.

Ive made a few bits on my machine but this is by far the most enjoyable one so far. Not exactly stealthy but ive got enough Olive in my life already :D

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Top work Paul! Be proud. :cool:

Looks a good usable size for the bivvy and also a fairer weather hammock tarp.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just to finish off i knocked up a small stuffsack today to finish it all off. It only added 3.5g to the total. Could have got away with it a bit smaller but i was guessing with the dimensions. Fully compressed it would match the coke can.

All packed and ready for action

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE