Miserable day again.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Problem with our last beach trip, horse riders galloping up and down admidst many exercising dogs and someone was flying a drone over our heads getting horses and dogs excited. Shame because it was a lovely day for once, rain again now.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
raindrops keep falling on my head

[video=youtube;OT1HCQcSHW0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1HCQcSHW0[/video]

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I do not shovel rain. And by definition, the temperature is above freezing.
220km mid-day yesterday, to drive from the city back to my village home.
The highway was bare and wet, with approx 2 hrs of snow-covered Rocky Mountains to look at.
To my knowledge, there are less than a dozen people who live within sight of this stretch of highway.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
Tell me about it:( very windy and wet. But on the upside it's a chance to practice fire lighting in crap weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Tell me about it:( very windy and wet. But on the upside it's a chance to practice fire lighting in crap weather!

Indeed, in the form of a woodburner :lmao:

Truly wet again here in Sussex, due in for the night too. I'm getting fed up with chalky mud in the car and house.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a beautiful morning here :D it was -3C last night though, and it was a sore frost because it had poured all evening first.

I have bought so many door mats this Winter that I can floor the entire long hallway :rolleyes: I think our houses should come with back and front covered porches as standard fittings :sigh:

M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The first bright day in nearly a week, the rain has shown that we have a leaky roof where the chimney pops through.

More trouble. :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" It's a beautiful morning here"...It is here too Toddy..:)
And in time honoured British fashion a true weather story..

In the early 1970's I was a front seat passenger in a car being driven at speed along a country road. The hedgerow on the nearside was actually the official border with another country, on the offside was an embankment down to a ditch and some scattered trees while ahead was a narrow bridge over a shallow stream. it was necessary to maintain a high speed while using this particular stretch of road.
Once again it had been another rainy, drenching day with low black clouds but looking to my left I saw that the bottom edge of a big cloud had grown a bright orange 'Hem' as the sun hidden all day began to set. The wet green fields below the cloud began to sparkle as if covered in orange diamonds and I remarked to my mate how beautiful the land looked. For a brief moment he braked and looked across me at the sunset, as the car slowed from high speed the bridge ahead erupted. The windscreen blew in and the car hopped sideways and rolled down the embankment. Just one 360 roll and landed on it's wheels, we grabbed essential kit and like battered startled rabbits scuttled clear of the car and sat back to back in the ditch, awaiting developments. Nothing!
We crouched in the ditch while the fields around us turned a spectacular golden orange and the black shadows of the trees grew longer until a vehicle with a lot thicker skin than a Ford Cortina came and collected us.
For the past forty odd years every day, especially the sunsets have been good days.:D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...it was necessary to maintain a high speed while using this particular stretch of road..."

I can guess which border that was. :)

For a British weather story I can add...

In the mid eighties I was (for want of a better word) a roadie, I'd just finished a gig in Inverness, I think it might have been October or thereabouts, dirty snow was piled at the roadsides, it was drizzly and a cold, cold wind was blowing. A more miserable de-rig I cannot remember.

Rather than head home to Edinburgh I was off to Plymouth for a few days work, first driving to London to drop off some gear. An overnight drive with a few hours at a services outside London for breakfast and a rest.

I then drove to Plymouth.

Driving along smaller country roads in Devon it was clear that I'd passed through a time warp of some kind, everything was green, the sun was shining and it felt like August.

Britain is a small island, but a long one. :)

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Starting with Hail and now heavy rain :D Last night was crisp and clear and I was hoping it would carry on into today, alas.

Threads like this get me thinking about being british and talking about the weather, d we really do it more than other countries/people?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
We've had about eight days without rain and a bitter Easterly, just started to dry the top of the ground for the first time in many months. I was getting comfortable again without the two dog towels a day, without the wellies just to be able to go a few miles on the tracks and enjoying the awakening world.

Persistent rain all night has put a stop to all that, the forest tracks are back to where they were and the light levels are once again low and dingy; the emerging growth looks to be pulling it's head back in and the birds are much quieter; one bath towel covered in mud already and feet cooked fromjust a few early miles in wellies.....................

Will it ever come good? :(

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, just the same here Mac and tomorrow we're expecting sleet and snow, might have to put something else on my feet other than my crocks :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I am getting a little bored with the rain. I like proper storms like Imogen full of fury and elemental engery. The persistent cold and damp makes it hard to enjoy the great outdoors. I spend a lot of time cleaning kit. Mud coats everything, the van, the dogs and anything that touches the ground.

Perhaps it is just with our rose tinted glasses that we look back to our childhood with 4 seasons and endless holidays.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Well the amazing spell of hot sunny weather has ceased but the garden was glad of the last night's overnight rain. Bright, sunny, & mild today...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Perhaps it is just with our rose tinted glasses that we look back to our childhood with 4 seasons and endless holidays.

There's truth in that statement, for sure, but I like to convince myself that indulging my grumpy side will make things better :rolleyes:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
In like a lion... First day of March and a winter storm warning here. Maybe 10 inches of snow forecast. Blowing and drifting. Nice day for 4-wheel drive. :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Snow before Whit...
emoticon-00140-rofl.gif

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

Err, I think it was great :D And although I know there's some rose tinting going on I do remember the long hot sunny holidays and just loving the days and the dry and the adventure, in the Autumn the huge piles of 'Dry' leaves that we played in, getting snowed in at my Aunts in Cornwall a couple of times, the school buss near Reading getting stuck in a snow drift and generally loving the snow, which we hardly see now. Even with accepting there's some rose tinting going on I think they were brilliant times and miss them, there was enough for me to have built a huge memory bank that reminds me how great a life it was even though financially it was horrid...

In like a lion... First day of March and a winter storm warning here. Maybe 10 inches of snow forecast. Blowing and drifting. Nice day for 4-wheel drive. :)

Ha ha, Hope it's not too bad Terry, we're forecast some snow here but it's unlikely it will amount to anything. rose tinted again maybe but I miss my wonders in Canada :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE