Minus 17 degrees C...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
...this morning, here on the southern edge of the Highlands.

I like winter camping, but my current winter sleeping bag is a bit marginal at these temperatures.

Be careful out there.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ooh, shorts and t-shirt weather then?

never seen -17 myself. i reckon i could get away with wearing my Rabbit Fur Ushanka and not sweat to death in that ;)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im out this weekend its meant to be a blammy -8 we shall see, im doing a spot of beach camping so being on the coast its usually a few degree's warmer,i hope it does stay nice and cold , i can get to try a few bits and piece's, i did stay out once about 8 yrs ago on the moor's near Strathaven and it was around the minus 15 mark, i remember the water in all are bottles froze,and our goretex jackets where covered with ice crystals where the sweat vapour had froze on the outside.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It's marvellous being outside.
Quite often, the more ragged the weather the more bracing it is. It feels more elemental. Struggling against that rotten weather and finding a spot to snug down, feeling the wind in your face, the whole world beating in your lungs...
I'm sure that's why we all do it.
Mind you, sometimes it's nice to be inside, beside the fire, with a bottle of port and a lump of stilton, and the outside world can go sod itself.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good temp, i've had it really cold living in canada but with the damp here that's going to be a real biter, the original advice of watch yourself out there is good, it will be fine when you're doing ok but a mishap could turn very bad quickly.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
It had warmed up to a balmy -15c by the time I drove past !

I was out shooting on Boxing Day (about -10c) and noticed part of my thumb had gone white and completely numb. Frostnip !

NS

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Me and Barn Owl were out in -8c last night at the Wiston Lodge meet, had my nice new Sorel Caribou on, feet were well toastie, poor Barn Owls feet were freezing, i was just glad i had my knife with me as im sure he had his eyes on my boots at one point!!!:lmao:

Colin

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Spent yesterday evening toying with the idea of paddling the Lomond Round over the weekend. Want to make the most of my last couple of days holiday and with the Arran trip called off and the hogmany meet being uncertain I figured it'd be a nice way to spend a few days.

Printed off some maps, hauled the Pack off the wardrobe, checked the tides and started packing the rucksack......

Then read this and it dawned on me I've no idea if the Leven is flowing or frozen solid.:rolleyes:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Grooveski, the leven is most certainly flowing, i stay on the banks of the leven and its in full flow, its well warmer than at wiston lodge and looks good for a paddle..., Tam told me you would paddle on anything anyway and that your crazy and ice wouldnt stop a bloke like you

Colin

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Several of us on the forum were involved in a film shoot on Lauder Common a couple of Winters ago.
-12 on that exposed high moorland, and -19 with the windchill.
We had folks going down with hypothermia.
Filming was cancelled for the next day. We went back to finish things a month later.

cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Grooveski, the leven is most certainly flowing, i stay on the banks of the leven and its in full flow, its well warmer than at wiston lodge and looks good for a paddle..., Tam told me you would paddle on anything anyway and that your crazy and ice wouldnt stop a bloke like you

Colin

Happy days!
Was thinking I could stop in passing and check it out but that's much better knowing it's on the go. Cheers Colin. :)

Always thought this'd be a summer trip but the moon's been so bright the last couple of nights that the short days shouldn't be a problem.
All excited now, nice one. :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Still -13 deg C in my part of Aberdeenshire. Went for a walk up a local hill with my son yesterday when it was -10 deg C. I kid you not but we met a clown wearing shorts and trainers. We had on everything to keep warm and still kept on the move. You really have to wonder about some people, don't you!:eek:

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Several of us on the forum were involved in a film shoot on Lauder Common a couple of Winters ago.
-12 on that exposed high moorland, and -19 with the windchill.
We had folks going down with hypothermia.
Filming was cancelled for the next day. We went back to finish things a month later.

cheers,
Toddy

Good grief, no wonder my knees were cold:D:D. It was....an experience.....:eek:There were a few Monkeys looking for welders that day.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Have to admit I had to get in the car for a wee while last night for a heat.
The temp gauge in their read -12.

My feet were ridiculously cold.
We had a couple of walks to get the circulation going.

A pair of boots like Colins are def' on the wanted list.

A hot bottle in the sac was a godsend for the tootsies.

Had to spend a couple of hours this afternoon helping my roofer,was like a frozen proverbial again.:rolleyes:

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Experienced -24 overnight in a sleeping bag and bivvy which wasnt designed for it and i wouldnt reccommend it everyone was getting up every few hours to run and warm up a bit. Doing stuff during the day wasn't a problem with layers in fact had to keep taking layers off

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Wow. My folks told me the UK was a bit on the chilly side right now. Is it still cold. So far in the far north it has been a warm winter; mostly -2 to -10 and 5 days last week of -35 to -40. Experienced -10 in the UK a few years back, and it was way worse than any cold I've experienced in Canada and Alaska.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
had en exsperiance of -35 deg c once was very cold slept in a snow hole for 4 days and nights with a candle to keep us warm. they are great and you soon get used to the cold and how to operate. the ice breaking drills where the wost though it was about -24 25 when we got draged into the hole in the ice with all our kit and ski's. your body shuts down fast at that ouside temp after being in water at about 0 to -1. im sure the shot of rum helped loads and the 100m run up the hill to the doc and warm back of a BV.
that was in Canada a few years back would i do it ever ever again HELL YES......

just remember peops the are here is wetter and there for feels colder and effects you more so if your going out make sure you well prepped for the worst. i always have red smoke and flares when i tab on the moor's or stay out and always think ahead Who Where When Why How. every1 be safe this new year and have a very happy and exciting one. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!!!!

Wombat

Jul 19, 2008
Lancaster
www.tomahawk-tipis.co.uk
I love the cold it adds an edge to nights out that makes you feel like your surviving and battling the elements, but good advice safety first Camped at -25 en route to Everest Base Camp a few years back that was fun.
Went into the Trough of Bowland yesterday for a wander with my dad, nice day out got the kelly going in a wood for a brew to warm up after a blizzard on the tops, looking forward to more days like it.

Wombat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE