Midlands September '09 Meet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hope we will be able to make it up to RC again, but Kris has a meet on saturday for his team going to Ecuador next summer so we may not make it until sat evening ...

Meet List:

Decorum
Mesquite
MartinK9
Twodogs
Wayland
Nolightweight
rhyan
Elines
Sasquatch
jimbo and bro...
PeterH and Kris (possibly)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
not been to a meet for a while and seen as though i now live sort of in the midlands I'd like to come
Meet List:

Decorum
Mesquite
MartinK9
Twodogs
Wayland
Nolightweight
rhyan
Elines
Sasquatch
jimbo and bro...
jdlenton

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
New list with Allenko added,

Meet List
Allenko
Decorum
Elines
jdlenton
jimbo and bro
MartinK9
Mesquite
Nolightweight
rhyan
Sasquatch
Twodogs
Wayland

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Sounds like fun :D

Meet List
Allenko
Davey569 (will know closer to date) :)
Decorum
Elines
jdlenton
jimbo and bro
MartinK9
Mesquite
Nolightweight
rhyan
Sasquatch
Twodogs
Wayland

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Meet List
Andy2112 TBC (Saturday night only )
Allenko
Davey569 (will know closer to date)
Decorum
Elines
jdlenton
jimbo and bro
MartinK9
Mesquite
Nolightweight
rhyan
Sasquatch
Twodogs
Wayland

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Andy2112 TBC (Saturday night only )
Allenko
Davey569 (will know closer to date)
Decorum
Elines
Firecrest
jdlenton
jimbo and bro
MartinK9
Mesquite
Nolightweight
rhyan
Sasquatch
Twodogs
Wayland

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Would love to join you, sounds like it would be a great weekend - but having only just found this site, it is a bit short notice for me.

Hopefully will be able to make another one soon?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Would love to join you, sounds like it would be a great weekend - but having only just found this site, it is a bit short notice for me.

Hopefully will be able to make another one soon?

If you find yourself able to make it, just let me know :cool: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Providing that it/they're dropped and left tidy, we have permission to go into an area* and drop as many hazel spars/boughs/trunks as we like at this Meet. So natural shelters could be an option if someone/anyone is interested :cool: .

* It's a specific area that, periodically, has got to be levelled on the basis of safety and site maintenance ~ and it (almost) backs onto pitch 11 :D ...

A quick bump/reminder on the subject of the chance to do a bit of shelter building at this Meet - just in case anyone's missed it and is interested in this opportunity.

This isn't a subject area that can always be easily tried or practised (unless you have your own permission) and there aren't that many times that a group can go in 'mob-handed' to gather the materials for a multitude of shelters.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I would love to have a go at building a shelter - don't think I would actually be spending the night in it though - less than a year ago I hadn't even slept outside for over 40 years so I am still getting there.

What kit would we need? I have an axe but to be honest I am now thinking that it is potentially too dangerous for me to use when I am tired and would prefer to stick with a knife and folding saw.

Also - whilst I know Rough Close is not a place for formal teaching:
  • will there be someone to give some pointers,
  • do know-nothings like me need to mug up on the theory of shelter building and if so
  • what is recommended
Does any of this rule me out from making a shelter ie:

• won't be sleeping in it
  • won't be using an axe
  • need help/advice on what to do
(hope not)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What kit would we need? I have an axe but to be honest I am now thinking that it is potentially too dangerous for me to use when I am tired and would prefer to stick with a knife and folding saw.

Also - whilst I know Rough Close is not a place for formal teaching:
  • do know-nothings like me need to mug up on the theory of shelter building and if so
  • what is recommended
  • won't be using an axe
(hope not)

That's good thinking regards tiredness and sharps Elines. However you can build a shelter without anything like that if necessary but a knife and laplander saw will be more than adequate.

As for your first set questions yes there'll be several people with knowledge of making shelters... if not we'll all have fun trying to work it out :D
Mug by reading a couple chapters about shelters in any bushcraft book. Ray Mears, Mors Kochanski are a couple good sources.

In answer to your next set of question the answer is no to all three. People will be welcome to join in regardless of knowledge. That's the fun of moots, everyone is friendly and helps out If you want know/learn something just ask and no doubt someone will be able to answer your question :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well put Steve :D .

What kit would we need? I have an axe but to be honest I am now thinking that it is potentially too dangerous for me to use when I am tired and would prefer to stick with a knife and folding saw ...

As Steve said, good reasoning :cool: .

The area we can go into to gather the shelter material is a bit ... 'over grown' ~ there isn't the space to swing an axe at the moment. So knife and saw will be the primary tools for the job.

• what is recommended

More than likely, have a look here and get far more thatching than you think is enough

• won't be using an axe

Absolutely not :cool: . It's the same as choosing to sleep in a tent or under a tarp, it's entirely down to individual choice :cool: .

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You really dont need to worry about having techniques or anything. about half the people will most likely do their own thing anyway, even if that involves just reading a book quietly somewhere. The meets are about having fun, and everybody will welcome you.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Alright everyone, this is a long shot but is anyone bringing any excess gear for swaps? I'm desperately after a grey or green wool army blanket to make a woodsman's overshirt out of... I've got a pair of cold weather trouser liners in large(36-38) I could swap, failing that let me know what you're after. I could make you a sheath for a mora or a cruisader cup lid or something like that instead. I know I could buy a blanket from Endicott's but times are tough, I'd rather swap things I don't need! Cheers, Chad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE