Midgies!! Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sttrory

Forager
Oct 20, 2010
moon
Hi all,

Found a great wild camp location wood next to river.
But loads & loads of migies.

Did a location check today & brew stop (honey stove buning wood) but
had to bail out because millions of the little gits

Anyway of dealing with them?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Light a big fire and apply lots of midge repellent. Also you could get midge head nets. You'll look like a numpty but at least you'll be pain free. Also get a hammock with a bug net if you haven't already got one. Good luck!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beatons midgie jacket :D and a smokey fire :D

Miserable blighters, aren't they ?
I gave up working in the garden; the day's gone muggy and a bit overcast and they're out and they're hungry :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I made myself a midgie hood & net for my trip to North Yorkshire last year, and very useful they were too.

The hood is just a large drawstring bag made from the excellent midgie net available here.

midgiehood.jpg

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
Also, doesn't take much wind to make the midgies drop down into the undergrowth. If you know they are bad in a particular area then try to camp there when you are sure of a strong breeze for the duration.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Smidge is getting some good reviews in the Highlands and I recall Wayland recently reviewed BUG Gerrof (sp?) quite favourably.

I believe Avon have changed the formula of Skin So Soft and it's not as effective as it used to be. Autan and Smidge are the ones I tend to use with best success.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Watch the skin so soft, it's oily and if you're fair skinned you'll burn in any sunshine with it :sigh:
Can't stand the smell of it myself, but HWMBLT uses it. I reckon the midgies just drown in the oil slick :rolleyes:

I eat marmite every day, and I still get bitten. I even tried the B vitamin patches, and though I didn't get bitten they successfully burnt my skin, so that's a no go. The smell of the yeasty stuff really did soak into my skin though, maybe why I wasn't bitten :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Went to outdoor circuit training in the rain last night.

Thought I'd be safe...

Dur-duh dur-duh du-du-duh-du du-du-duh-duh... da-da-daaaah!

Aaarrgghh! B****y midges! At a sports centre! In the middle of the town!

Skin-so-soft on next time - Deet's better but don't want it sweating into my eyes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE