Midges are back and worse than ever.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Got to say i tried those highland midge patches over the weekend.
dispite making me smell like a breakfast cereal they worked a treat, not a single bite all weekend!

i guess its a trade off mind, smell like rusk to get rid of mossies and midges, just be careful not to be gummed to death by a hoard of hungry toddlers!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Got to say i tried those highland midge patches over the weekend.
dispite making me smell like a breakfast cereal they worked a treat, not a single bite all weekend!

i guess its a trade off mind, smell like rusk to get rid of mossies and midges, just be careful not to be gummed to death by a hoard of hungry toddlers!

Tried them last year, but unfortunately for me didn't work. Have to agree with the BBC, so far this year the wee blighters have been quite bad, getting worse too.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Mosquitos are out too and the Clegs (Horse-flies).

Wore one of these much of the biting season last year and the only place I got bitten was on the legs, through trousers by Clegs...

http://www.bugshirt.com/

... no connection etc, and can't find the UK link I bought it from now.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They were pretty relentless one morning on Loch Shiel this week, I had my Beaton jacket on but they were still getting in my brew and porridge.

I was hoping for a tame season too but from what I've seen so far they're definitely out in force.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi been to scotland quite a few times never been bothered by the little buggers they must not like my blood regards dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oooooh.........trust me, you want to buy a Beatons jacket before then :(

Ach, maybe not, we do get peace from them, sometimes, occasionally, when it's windy, sunny, very dry, rarely really :D

atb,
Mary

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Are they as bad near the coast if I stay out of the woods? I'm off to Sandyhills/Dalbeattie in August - and I;m hoping they don;t ruin it for me... Any advice?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I was up in Inverness last week - no midges that I could see. A local told me that for some reason the East Coast - at least round Inverness - doesn't seem to have a midge problem - that's more over on the West coast.

But what a great place the Highlands is!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Deffinately worse on the west coast, once there were a few in the tiny bit of woodland at the back of my garden, but ive never come across any whilst camping on the coast here.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT said that he saw a puddle that the air was black above with mosquitos this morning on his walk down the woods beside the river :sigh:
Midgies are bad enough, clegs are a nightmare, but mozzies too :yikes:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE