Mid-Length Boot ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
My Physio just told me to buy a higher style of boot's with Better Ankle support for walking / Bushcraft activities, So I'd like to know if anyone's got any good recommendations, I'm after something around the £50 / £100 range, I'm not bothered about make just a well built mid-length Tac or Walking Boot, Higher than the Brasher's I currently wear.
cheer's

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I am slightly curious why your physio thinks that walking needs ankle support. I am used to being told that walking in rough country with load is the place for ankle support and even there it depends. This is the third summer I walk with very thin soled bare foot shoes when ever possible and it looks like it is possible in surprising surroundings if no load.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Because I had afew rough words with some Gentlemen? last july and Had to have an op to re-build my Ankle and put a implant in to hold my foot to my leg, But they said sorry. So it all turned out well.
Plus I could still carry my bergan, but it would make me threaders after.
Any chance of Boot recommendation's ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I would say look at Bates or YDS boots. They are in your price range. I recently got a pair of YDS PAR boots for work. Not too hi legged that you require, but looking online they do a whole range of higher leg boots at a good price.

For the record, the YDS PAR boots are good quality, lightweight enough for what I need and were cheap. Take a look mate, see what you think.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is that high enough or do you want an army boot?

Hand made and double stiched in the traditional way in a small workshop in northern Italy. Sold exclusively in or via only one Austrian shop since a lot of years.

Similar boots of the competition usually cost 100€ more. That is the cheapest high quality mountain boot I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dougster

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
French Army boots.
The laces end in the middle, the tongue isn't as high as in other army boots. It's made for relatively warm weather.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Austrian army mountain boot heavy, double stiched.

And the lighter Austrian Army boots.

At this site you find desert boots with cotton parts too.
I got two pairs of the lighter ones as army surplus for 50 quid posted for the pair. Added some gel insoles on top of the leather footbed and a bit of dubbin/grease/polish, one and a half years later and both pairs are looking better than when they arrived and my feet are better than ever. They fit my feet very nicely, which is rare i've always struggled with footwear.
Had my "mucky" (theyre well looked after, just been allocated to take more abuse than the other pair) pair out today for the first time in yonks to take the dogs out in a bit of rain. ive lived in a pair of old trainers ive rediscovered from my late teens since lockdown started as ive not done much but soak up the sun.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erbswurst

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Not your typical Army / Forces Leather Mid Shin or Calf size, Nor a Brasher style Hiking boot as one's to high with not enough Padding at the Ankle and the second style are abit to short & heavy, I'm thinking something more along the Fabric / Nylon? 1's.
cheer's

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Morning, I've had a good look on my usual online suppliers and I think I'm going to go for a ''Viper'' covert or venom / ''Mil-Tec'' ''Pentagon'' Style Mid Length boot.
Anyone Own / Had any of these to give me a thumbs-Up on price quality and life span.
cheer's

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Morning, I've had a good look on my usual online suppliers and I think I'm going to go for a ''Viper'' covert or venom / ''Mil-Tec'' ''Pentagon'' Style Mid Length boot.
Anyone Own / Had any of these to give me a thumbs-Up on price quality and life span.
cheer's
Mil tec is known for it's questionable quality but i've got a few bits made by them n whilst it won't win any awards, it's serviceable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I would steer clear of the miltec/viper etc offerings to be honest - especially is there is a genuine medical reason for needing ankle support. They are rather cheaply made boots, and whilst they do no doubt give ankle support, they are thin and a little 'floppy' especially as they age.

Don't write off the military issue boots that have been mentioned on this thread - they are a world apart from the old hi-leg boots, and have mid height, heavily padded, and stiff ankles, but that still flex in the right places. My personal recommendation would be the haix 'cold wet weather' brown boots on issue to the army. They are really quite superb if my pair is anything to go by, and can be had quite cheaply in new condition on ebay. e.g . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haix-Cold-Wet-Weather-Boots-Female-BRAND-NEW-Various-Sizes/264753246732?var=564577576191&hash=item3da485f20c:m:meWow05aTW1t64OmvVVjA_g&LH_ItemCondition=3

Reactions: lostplanet

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Ok cool, hopefully they'll last long enough until my ankles fully healed, they've told me it should be afew more months, I'll have a good scout for online reviews & video's.
Cheer's
Stay Safe & Steathy

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I know you say mid length, but if you feel like trying hi length, And a lot depends on your own foot shape as to which will work for you as im sure you know.

ive got MOD issue altbergs and Haix cold wet weather, have had Altberg EOD boots (before they got mass produced), Hanwag SF leather, matterhorns, Lowas, Meindls, itturis, Bates, 5.11.

If you can find a brand new pair "for me" I think the best pair of boots including VFM are Haix cold wet weather. superbly comfortable, hard wearing, good grip, great lacing system, not that heavy, have been jogging in them, fairly easily replaced(large stocks) and afaik resoleable. Zero blisters with thick Alpaca walking socks.

I use Altberg clear leder gris(brown stuff seems to turn things dark purple), but dont really look after them. Replaced the laces once so far with paracord but nothing i throw at these has caused any problems.
I had a pair of Hanwag tatras for a month and they literally fell apart (£185) had them repaired and same thing happened so refunded. I would have sworn by hanwag a few years ago.

If you are a unusual size you could get a brand new boxed pair with all the extras for around £75 but they hover around £100.
I take 9M in all boots and trainers and they fit me nicely. The height of the boot from ground to top back is roughly 9 1/2 inches. Altbergs similar.
Haix pair of 9M weigh 1.96 Kg and the Altbergs 1.64 Kg

There is the Goretex argument about drying time compared to non membrane boots but that doesnt bother me. I have worn them damp and not had any issues. I worn them in 25+ degree heat no problems.

However if you did want a non membrane boot look at the Altberg MOD boot too

Around the same money. I didnt like mine too much at the beginning but after I started taping up my left small toe, i have had great walks with these too.
Lighter than the Haix but i would say not as high quality and would not last quite as long maybe.

I use these for load carry and tabbing (jogging) as im trying to get fit for Paras10 2021, i am prefering these to the haix for that job plus i dont really want to wear the sole out on the haix with mindless road miles.

HTH

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Something to add if you do go for the Haix or Altbergs, try not to wrap excessive laces around your ankle.
Most of these boots have a ventilation system so it just blocks that off. Simply tuck the spare lace inside the top of the boots.

When new and stiff, get yourself a Ice skate boot hook to get the lace tight and fit nice, also works quite well as a stubborn mud remover too.

Reactions: Mark Baigent

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yeah, I'd avoid Miltec, Viper, and Magnum boots.
Very dubious quality. If you do go for any of those brands then make sure you try before you buy (Viper are a dreadful fit - very narrow).

A great boot that is within your price range are the 5.11 Taclite 8" boots:

I wear the 6" version and I will buy another pair when they eventually die (had them about 10 years now and they show no sign of dying). Extremely well made, light, and comfortable straight out of the box (no need to 'wear them in'!). 5.11 is a brand well known for quality and well regarded.
Admittedly, they aren't waterproof (and neither do they claim to be).

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Mine should be here around lunch time ish?, So I'll give them a once / three time's over and see how they feel, to be honest I'm only getting them for afew months usage max? hopefully.
Will let you know soon
Stay,Safe
Cheer's
B.L.M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE