Mid Layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
My current cheapy Berghaus fleece is on its way out, so I'm in line for a new mid layer. Especially if I can get the 15% Cotswold Outdoor discount!

So, what should I get, do you reckon? I could quite easily get a North Face fleece (or equivalent), but then there are other manufacturers and concepts out there that I haven't tried before (all stating that they're the best system, of course) such as Buffalo, Paramo, Icebreaker, Windstopper etc

Criteria:
- Nothing too warm (I'll be walking around the countryside and a few hills, not Mount Everest)
- Highly breathable
- I'll be wearing a baselayer and Goretex. Usually I just need those, then add the fleece if it's too cold, but maybe I could get away with something like a thinner Buffalo then add the Goretex in really wet conditions
- Mustn't be really ugly or too heavy
- I'm willing to pay for quality

So, what do you reckon?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
My personal preference is for Helly Hansen Fibre Pile (You'll have to click on "Products" and "Fibre Pile" to see the proper link.)

I used to use Fleece, but found it to not be as warm, or transport moisture nearly as quick as Fibre Pile. In fact, I'm sitting here in my cold house right now wearing my HH jacket, it's a hooded zip front. Damn, that reminds me, I need to get the fire going again. :p

There's only two problems with Fibre Pile:

1) It starts to look ratty and very quickly. In 6 months, your jacket will look so bad that a Yugoslavian POW wouldn't want to wear it!

2) It doesn't compact down as well as Polar Fleece, which means it takes up more pack space.

On the other hand, I strongly feel that Fibre Pile's benefits far outweigh those of simple fleece, Mind you, that's only an opinion.

Cheers,

Adam

PS: Unlike fleece, Pile is knitted. This means that you can get double layer fibre pile. :)

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Mark A

If your interested in the HH fibre pile check out the members offer for the HH field jacket that was recently posted.

A steal for the price and it meets most of your criteria for a tiny fraction of what you'll pay from an outdoors shop, even with 15% discount.

Rgds

David

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
If you are looking for a windproof mid layer then I'd recommend Extreme Outdoor Clothing’s (www.extremeoutdoorclothing.com) Field Smock instead of a buffalo ...... it has more venting options. Alternatively if you are just looking for a fleece type mid layer you could go for the Narvik Shirt (made by the same company). I've also heard good things about the Nanok Air jacket, I think outdoorcode stocks them.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I can definitely recommend the North Face Redpoint jacket http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product...t=CLTH&manufacturer_id=The North Face&cat_id=

I have two and wear them pretty much constantly, either as a top layer or a mid layer under a goretex shell. They pack down to 6inches by 6 inches into one of the side pockets so ideal i stuff in a PLCE pouch or the lid of a bergan.

Although it is a duvet jacket is lightweight, comfortable, extremely well cut and tailored for movement and feels incredibly windproof given it is quite thin. Also found it quite drizzle proof tho not tried it in proper rain yet.

BTW, the pic on the website looks kinda grey but the jacket is actually a 'proper' black with a dark grey stitching.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Good food for thought there. One point I realise now is that I prefer a full length zip so I can easily get a blast of fresh air if necessary. So smocks are off the list unfortunately (although I do like them).

If the HH field jacket offer is still valid, that does look interesting. I'll have to think of whether I can cope with its larger packed size. Did anyone get one? Seems pretty good value!

I do like the idea of Merino wool too. The shops here have Icebreaker, but it's only their "outer layer" that has a full length zip. Could be too hot and too expensive, though (I haven't tried yet).

Keep the ideas coming!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I bought one and it's done me proud this winter under a smock and because it was so cheap I don't worry if it gets "sparked". Packed up it's not particularly bigger than other fleeces I've had and it's only likely to be with me in winter conditions.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
moduser said:
Mark A

If your interested in the HH fibre pile check out the members offer for the HH field jacket that was recently posted.

A steal for the price and it meets most of your criteria for a tiny fraction of what you'll pay from an outdoors shop, even with 15% discount.

Rgds

David
Right, I admit it, I'm a muppet.

I can't find this offer with search or anything - can someone take an old man and lead him to it?

Red

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Gosh, yeah, I'd forgotten how well HH fibre pile layers underneath of a smock. I wear mine underneath my Ventile coupled with a good base layer. I think it's what they call "Storm Proof."

Another really nice aspect of fibre pile is that it's so soft and curly, you can actually wear it right next to your skin. Deep sea divers wear it like that underneath of their dry suits.

Isn't that the whole concept behind Paramo and Buffalo?

Adam

leon-1

bikething said:
Red, I think it might be a 'full members' offer ;)

and I liked it so much, I bought 2 :D

Cheers
Steve

bikething, yep you are as correct as a correct thing, it was a deal that was organised for full members as a thank you, I don't know if the offer is still running, I'll speak with Neil1 to find out as he was the one that set the deal up. :)

ed dickson

Feb 7, 2006
herefordshire
Lifthasir said:
If I were buying a new one and had some cash, I would go for a zip, turtle neck
Merino wool mid-layer.

Too right. Howies.co.uk make excellent merino fleeces and jerseys, and their an ethically trading company. 2 fabric weight choices as well iirc.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bikething said:
Red, I think it might be a 'full members' offer ;)

and I liked it so much, I bought 2 :D

Cheers
Steve

Seems fair Steve - I must get to paying that money then..now al I need is some money :rolleyes: Pay day soon!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
:)
leon-1 said:
bikething, yep you are as correct as a correct thing, it was a deal that was organised for full members as a thank you, I don't know if the offer is still running, I'll speak with Neil1 to find out as he was the one that set the deal up.

If you could find out, that would be great. It seems such a bargain that it's probably worth it to get it, and if it's not 100% suitable I still have some nice HH gear!

I'd forgotten about Howies - I'll check them out too.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Why don't you phone Endicott's and see what Kevin has to offer....he's extremely helpful...changed my size at no extra cost....I bought a sleeping bag as well. Phone number is on the web page I think.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
mark a. said:
I do like the idea of Merino wool too. The shops here have Icebreaker, but it's only their "outer layer" that has a full length zip. Could be too hot and too expensive, though (I haven't tried yet).

I've been using 200 and/or 260 IceBreaker all winter and I'm not ever going back.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi, as my insulating layer I usually put on a standard Army V neck Pure wool jumper in olive green. U know the one with the pads on the elbows and shoulders? (make sure its Wool and not acrylic) They are warm and will stay warm if u fall into a river... not that i've ever done that all... ever?!.... ;) But it is a little bulky and so I have a Swandri ranger shirt in olive now and its nice and warm. On the other hand, my Buffalo Special 6 is a great replacemnt to all ur other layers... just as long as its not too sunny. I've climbed snowdon a few times and found it Very warm!! dries like nothing i've ever owned before and weighs hardly anything! I keep it as a Dry-Warm-Thing, if my other equip gets soaked and i have to dry them out but stay cosy. I bought the hood and mitts too.
Hope that helps.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Cheers for all the help. I'm still not fully decided, but I'm tending towards a merino wool midlayer from e.g. Icebreaker, Howies etc. It's my birthday coming up in a month, so hopefully something might be able to come my way.

I do like the idea of Buffalo, but I hate being too hot - and the Buffalo kit seems to be on the warm side. Since I haven't climbed any huge mountains recently, and don't really plan on doing any for a bit, perhaps it's not needed. Maybe for my next Scandinavia trip, though...!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE