Mid Layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
As you have already stated, you possibly need more than one variant of the mid layer depending on the conditions. [Perhaps Buffalo 6 for colder, something lighter for warmer conditions] I am a great lover of merino wool base layers, but wool mid layers tend to be quite a bit heavier than their fleece competitors...

My suggestion for the lightweight midlayer is the Quechua product range sold by Decatlon. Incredibly light for its performance, very breathable, [not wind block but your gore shell gives you that] and takes up little space in your pack. Not expensive IIRC.

gd-asset_1194527.jpg

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
mark a. said:
Cheers for all the help. I'm still not fully decided, but I'm tending towards a merino wool midlayer from e.g. Icebreaker, Howies etc.

I highly recommend Icebreaker, I have SKIN200 and a SKIN400 tops, they dont have much elasticity for use as a baselayer, but for mid-layer they are fantastic. Mine is 3years old and still like new after months of hard use

My SKIN200, plus a microfleece from Columbia plus Mountain Equipment G2, kept me toastie in the lakes last weekend. And with 20 mile an hour winds, and windchill of -6 I felt great.

The icebreaker are good as you say due to the merino wool. I'm sure you'll be happy whichever you buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE